Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Traction Kites Help Please
  • blacks
    Free Member

Just bought a Flexi foil s/steel buggy
    and wanting to know what size of kite to pull me and zee buggy

This will be mainly used on the beach so windy some times
    zero interested in going 60mph.

Would a 3.3metre kite be ok ??

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member
    AlexSimon

Do you fancy getting in at the deep end, or having a nice easy stable kite to get you started?

If the latter, a HQ Rush IV PRO gets well reviewed as a not-too-expensive, not-too-difficult kite.
    I would probably go slightly over-kited, but that’s just me.
    So that would be the 3.5m model for about £160.

Edit: just seen the 60mph comment – hmmm – that will feel very very fast with your bum 1″ off the sand.
    Maybe you’ll need slightly more than 3.5m and slightly more accellerative than the HQ, but it all depends on the wind.

Davesport

I take it your life insurance is all paid up then & you’ve made a will ? I fly a 2.5 Sq M bullet static IE no board or buggy. In the “right” wind your 3.5 will propel yourself & the buggy at normal “brown pants” speed. In the wrong conditions it’s anyone’s guess.

Couple of questions. Which foil have you bought ? & have you flown it before ?

D.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Which foil have you bought ? & have you flown it before ?

This seems key.

Moreover, have you flown any traction kites before? If not, you’re leaping in to a shark and crocodile infected deep end of pain!

Lessons, lessons, lessons. Or at least take the time to learn and gradually develop.

(Obviously, if you’re used to flying big stuff, body dragging in water, jumping etc, then all good and carry on!)

andyl
    Free Member

I read the OP as he doesnt want to do 60mph

Cougar

Any good kite shop will be able to advise and possibly allow demos.

Asking after you’ve bought a buggy rings alarm bells though. I’d suggest seeking lessons if you’ve never done it and don’t have any experienced friends, otherwise you’re going to end up in hospital.

AlexSimon

andyl – Member

I read the OP as he doesnt want to do 60mph
    Oh yeah – it could be that.
    I thought it was an unintentional line-break and it was the wind that could be zero.

pacemaker
    Free Member

I used to race in the PKA series (class 8) so can tell you that they are more than capable of these speed…. 😀
    “Used to” being the right way of describing it after a big off at high speed and a suspected broken neck later.!

The Flexi bullet 3.5 was the kite of choice for beginners to learn to static fly then learn to buggy.

When learning to static fly properly get used to using the brake lines to turn rather than the traditional stuntkite way of pulling one line more than the other. as it makes the move to buggying easier.

Once the bug bites you may find yourself spending loads of money on race kit and ending up on a start line looking like this!

andyl
    Free Member

Oh yeah – it could be that.
    I thought it was an unintentional line-break and it was the wind that could be zero.

I couldn’t work it out either but figured noting will work in zero wind!

luffy105
    Free Member

I’m sure I might know a few of those peeps!

My only advice with whatever you buy is learn to fly the thing properly out of the buggy first and don’t start out in strong gusty winds.

People will recommend all sorts of different kites and personally I favoured the ozone flows as they are very forgiving when you **** it up (you will) and yet pull like a train when you know how to handle them.

There are all sorts of makes such as ozone, flexifoil, pkd, Peter Lynn etc and their beginners kites are all excellent but don’t be tempted to buy a second hand race kite off the Internet just because it’s cheap. I did and nearly ended up halfway to holland by the time I stopped getting dragged all over the place. 😀

That said, it is great fun and one hell of a rush, just can be a little frustrating chasing round for the right winds, tides etc….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Traction Kites Help Please’ is closed to new replies.