Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Powdercoating colour advice
  • mcj78
    Free Member

Thinking about showing my commuter a bit of tlc & freshening up the slightly chipped & scratched paint with some new powdercoat & swithering on colours – I really like some of the shades the Shand Stoaters come in, particularly the grey & the slightly bilious green. It’s an old Charge Filter, so roughly the same shape as the Stoater hence it’s handy to see what colours look good on that style of frame

My bike:

Nice colours:[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3739/13786961763_1b7cf0253c_b.jpg[/img]

In fact – Mr Shand has picked out a cracking range of hues for that frame & having just googled them, anything would look cracking – however if i’m powdercoating, it would be easiest to stick with the RAL colour charts, had also thought about RAL 7001, a kinda pale bluey/grey:

All the components are black – the hoods are red but can be changed for a couple of quid so don’t have to match those, anyone any ideas?

Cheers
    John

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Just crack on with what ever colour you like fella.

slackboy

kawasaki green! I think RAL 6018 is the closest match

newrobdob
    Free Member

Choose who is going to coat it for you first and see what colours they offer. I use LSN in Castleford (£40 frame and forks and proper good job) who have loads of colours but I can’t just pick out a RAL colour before I go as they don’t have them all.

Junkyard
    Free Member

any colour you like its your bike

mcj78
    Free Member

Yeah, obviously this being stw i’ll ignore any suggestions anyways, but just checking if there were any RAL shades that always work fantastically well or others which without fail, just look plain wrong 😆

Shackleton

On a practical note something bright for a commuter. You can now get powder coats with glitter in too!

Bez

As above, my experience is that the coaters will have certain colours in stock and you probably won’t want to invest in buying them a new colour just for one frame. If they’ve just finished a commercial job then they may have a box of a specific colour left over which they might do a bit cheaper if you’re lucky.

If you don’t have your mind set on a specific colour, find a coater with a good reputation and spend five minutes with them picking from what they’ve got.

kayak23

Kawasaki green

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ncpR3n]04-17-14 Malvern summit[/url] by Kayak23, on Flickr

kayla1
    Free Member

Kwak green with a slight silver sparkle added to the laqceur-

stevied
    Free Member

Sulphur Yellow with a gold flake

honourablegeorge

mcj78 – Member

Yeah, obviously this being stw i’ll ignore any suggestions anyways, but just checking if there were any RAL shades that always work fantastically well or others which without fail, just look plain wrong

Each to their own, but I think it would be a shame to go trhough all the effort and cost of powdercoating to end up with “kinda pale bluey/grey”. You want a bit of pop, not a colour that you can barely even be arsed to describe.

I’m with you on taking inspiration from Shand.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/zPMnNS]Neale's Stoater[/url] by Shand, on Flickr

slimjim78
    Free Member

I stick RAL2000 on everything. Because its ‘from the future…’

rossburton
    Free Member

RAL2000 looks awesome and I might get my Rocket done in that when I eventually get around to it.

Keando

Ah Signal Orange ’79 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

if i’m powdercoating, it would be easiest to stick with the RAL colour charts

Not all powder coaters stock all colours in the ral range. They usually have popular colours and will give you the option to buy the colour you want, but that’s turns out to be an expensive option.

mcj78
    Free Member

Liking some of the brighter ones – that yellow is really nice (RAL1016?) – looked at it on a chart and it looks quite luminous but once it’s finished it’s not really that retina melting, it’s bright, but not “holy shit that’s bright

Have popped into the powdercoaters i’ll be using before – they seem to be very busy & have a good stock of colours, just depends if they have it in stock at the time I suppose but I know what you mean

stevied
    Free Member

Yep, RAL1016. I just got them to add in some gold flakes to give a bit of sparkle 😉

mcj78
    Free Member

Nice – any more pics of that? I’m sure i’ve seen it before on here & liked the colour, bright but not mental, i like that

stevied
    Free Member

dukeduvet

ral5021

Living this with orange hope bits

dukeduvet

PURE BROS | Stahlrahmen Cyclocross Disc 2x11

Ill try again with the link

kayak23

^^^I like how you’ve colour matched the Intense with the hose and the toolbox. 🙂

OCB
    Free Member

This is a silver powdercoat base with a yellow/green layer on over the top rather than a single colour.

It’s always some kinda bright green, but quite how much, and exactly what kinda colour of bright green … does vary with the frequency / intensity / angle of the light.

mcj78
    Free Member

That Pure Bros Cycling flickr page is where I got that RAL 7001 pic. (the kinda bluey grey one 😆 ), some really nice bikes on there – liking this pepto bismol flavoured thing too

dukeduvet

Finally got round to posting this properly, those pure bros bikes have some cracking colours.

Think your red bar tape etc would look ok

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Powdercoating colour advice’ is closed to new replies.