Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Powder or Paint??
  • oneoneoneone
    Free Member

i just bought a nomad Mk1 and it looks a bit "tatty" so my thoughts where to get it painted. any way after having a chat with a mate he said powder coating is the way to go.

any one else had there frame powder coated and what sort of colors can i choose?

many thanks shaun

oh im looking for some where in southampton and found this place K&N any thoughts??

rootes1

powder… much more durable

as for colour – depends on what you local coater can do..

most can do a wide range of RAL colours

http://www.e-paint.co.uk/RAL_Colourchart.asp

I have used armourtex in hackney – good service £45 for to dip and blast your frame + coat + £15 for a clear coat ontop if you want it – also option for sparkels in the top coat

smiffy

is she is?…or is she aint?…

0091paddy
    Free Member

I've just had a powder coat in sky blue, finish is brilliant! Can't notice any difference in the weight either.

As for colours, most places have loads to choose from.

skidartist
    Free Member

Powder coat is more durable, but when it goes it goes worse. It almost seems as if your bike has been shrink wrapped rather than painted, so once there is a sizable scuff in the coating the area around it sometimes starts to lift. Its doesn't seem to be as stuck to the metal as regular paint. The frame I had done is alu, and the colour I used – a nice grey – isn't a million miles off the raw alu colour underneath so dunts don't really show (and I don't really care).

You'll get pretty much any colour you would hope to find in paint, but generally powder coat looks flat and plasticy compared to paint, not matt, but very opaque looking and without much depth, compared maybe to car bodywork which looks deeper bu comparison. With the right colour this looks great though. You'll pay a fair bit extra if the colour you want isn't on the shelf and needs to be ordered in.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Powder or Paint??’ is closed to new replies.