Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • powder coating – to strip paint before or not?
  • Wally

Did not quite realise how much time stripping paint takes.
    Aldi compressed air spot grit blaster is not really up to the job of a whole bike. Wire attachement to drill is a bit crude, but slowly effective- leaves scratches though.

Anybody been through this process and got suggestions. I am almost convinced I should get it grit blasted and coated at the same place. A guess cost will be about £50?

clwydrider
    Free Member

35 to 55GBP, they will nearly always want to blast it themselves so as to ensure it’s clean for coating

gtkid
    Free Member

Speaking as someone who does powder coating as a sideline, we always blast it ourselves to make sure before pcoating. Like any coating the key is in the preparation.

takisawa2

Its got to come off or the powder wont coat evenly, it will sit on the existing finish & bake into a right mess, all orange-peely & lumpy.
    I reckon about £40 to blast & re-coat.

Wally

Many thanks, I will leave it and get the whole lot done.
    Any blanking tips gtkid or others?

ozzybmx
    Free Member

Normal 3m masking tape is the usual tape of chpoice for blanking off threads and holes.

spooky_b329

Don’t bother blanking anything as when they strip it, it’ll come off I’d have thought!

trailmoggy
    Free Member

anyone tried nitro mors?

thats what i’m going to use before i have mine powder coated

i think shot or sand blasting is a but harsh especialy if its not a bike specific place thats doing it

clubber
    Free Member

leave the paint stripping to the painters.

For blanking, i always use toilet/kitchen roll cardboard tubes cut lengthways and then stuffed with more card to stop it moving. This works really well and won’t be moved by the stripping process.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘powder coating – to strip paint before or not?’ is closed to new replies.