Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Powder coating question.
  • sharki
    Free Member

Would most companies be able to mix a specific colour, like if i took a sample of colours i’d like to them. And can they to two tone paint jobs?

Also are fork lowers of to do, What would i need to do to make sure the wiper seals fit back ok, etc.

Fanks.

Skyliner
    Free Member

Most companies would/should be able to mix any colour. They’d prob give you a book so you can colour match them usually the motor trade colour swatch books are best as the code will tell the paintshop how to mix/make the paint. Also fork lowers are easy, you simply mask/fill the seal area with masking tape and tissue. Simples.

sharki
    Free Member

Cheers, what about any decals i may fancy, is that a job i’d need to do after than lacquer over myself to protect?

This is all madness really, as i’m not that kind to my bike.

Skyliner
    Free Member

Decals is your call really. Some people like to apply stickers after laquer so if they get damaged or you change your mind colourwise you can peel them off and re-apply. I personally think laquering over decals is a much nicer job though. More factory-like!

fourbanger
    Free Member

Powder coating cures at 200odd degrees. Wouldn’t seals be damaged at this temp?

thepodge
    Free Member

you can’t powder coat forks

you can’t two tone powder coat

there is very little need to lacquer over powder coat

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Fork lowers you’d need to remove seals, bushes, everything until you’re left with just the metal lower etc. Even then, don’t know if the heat would damage the metal (aren’t lowers often a magnesium alloy?)

Last time I looked, it didn’t look like Orange lacquered over their decals on the 5. But you had to look very hard.

I found, without lacquer, powder coating looks a bit of a dull/flat finish, even when you choose ‘gloss’.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Powder coating question.’ is closed to new replies.