Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Pounds. Euros. And whatnot.
  • LabMonkey
    Free Member

I just wanted to check my basic thinking on something, and this is always a good place.

So, it’s really all around the falling pound relative to other currencies at the moment. I get paid in euros into a UK bank account that then changes it into pounds. As the pound falls, essentially, that means it’s worth more – in the UK. However, generally I spend it again in Euros, and so really the difference is cancelled out again.

Does that make sense? Am I missing something?

Thanks.

scotroutes

It seems to mean you’re paying exchange fees twice. Why not get it paid into a Euro bank account?

LabMonkey
    Free Member

Scotroutes: let’s assume an old 1.2 euros to the pound. 100 euros was 80 pounds. It’s slipping towards 1:1 so 100 euros will be worth 100 pounds. Or, effectively a 20% pay rise. I think. That’s more than paying currency exchange fees twice. One of the options is a Euro account, but does it make sense is the question.

scotroutes

Well, taking exchange fees out of the question then your 20% pay rise will be right, but everything you buy will cost 20% more.

footflaps

One of the options is a Euro account, but does it make sense is the question.

Definitely if you mainly spend Euros; plus you get to transfer to £ and can hunt for the best rate, rather than bank give you their basic FX rate, which won’t be great.

LabMonkey
    Free Member

Scotroutes, Footflaps. Thanks to you both for the thoughts.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Pounds. Euros. And whatnot.’ is closed to new replies.