Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • potential scammers on here
  • reedspeed
    Free Member

I’ve both bought and sold a fair few bits & bobs on here,and never really had any problems either way.

However,I’ve recently bought something,paid for it,and not received it,I’ve emailed the seller twice,with no reply,and still not received the goods,I paid immediatly, upon agreeing a price,and I’ve been waiting patiently for my stuff,at what point do you think its a scam,or is it just me…

They’ve not been on Singletrack since either…

Oh,and I paid with pay pal gift too,so before you all say I told you so….I already know… 🙁

wwaswas

to avoid confusion and gievn you use the classifieds a fair bit it might be best to name and shame just to avoid anyone you’ve dealt with who’s not involved to avoid the pitchfork carrying mob?

longj
    Free Member

Just wondering, why did you pay with PayPal gift ?

root
    Free Member

Just wondering, why did you pay with PayPal gift ?

Honestly that should just be first response to these threads and if it’s a “Yes” just delete the bloody thing, sick of all the bleating and whining when they forfeit all their rights for the sake of a bit of commission to PayPal.

Not blaming you OP cos you haven’t said either way but i’m just sick of these bloody threads. Can’t we at least keep them in the classifieds section?

lucien

So, if all these threads of late about buyers and sellers and the need for some sort of feedback forum are genuine, how can we possibly expect to promote this if people use Paypal Gift to pay?

If people are unable to help themselves, how can it be at all feasible for a forum membership to help them?

Quick edit +1 for Root

sugdenr
    Free Member

I have bought loads from the classifieds and do a mix of PPG and PP fees depending on who I deal with. I have bought no less than 3 phones off here at £200 a pop and paid PPG for all – but I made reasonably sure who I was dealing with. Still a risk though.

If I pay PP fees I cover the fees because it is me that gets the benefit (buyer protection) – it amazes me that some folk on here think the seller should cover the PP fees!

reedspeed
    Free Member

Listen guys I hear what you’re saying ref ppg,however we want a deal,without it costing us any extra don’t we,that’s why we do it,however,we also think that there’s good guys on here too,I’d like to think so.

So instead of having a pop at the likes of me being too trusting,why don’t we do something about it? ..

Like someone has suggested,some sort of feedback,or a trusted seller asterisk or something !.

Don’t shoot the messenger!. 🙂

convert

it amazes me that some folk on here think the seller should cover the PP fees!

Because it brings it in line with ebay and buying from a shop – agreed price is what you pay. It would make no odds to me though – I have a price in mind that I am prepared to pay all up; if I were to have to pay the fee the amount I would offer would go down the commensurate amount. Obviously the person selling would be free to reject the offer.

wwaswas

why don’t we do something about it

like stop using paypal gift so the scammers can’t get away with it or something?

So was it the forks then?

root
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s up to the forum to hand hold you through a transaction with ratings and all that crap.

Just pay the % to Paypal and don;t worry about it. I don’t use Paypal but surely it can;t work out to be that much of a commission for the sake of some sort of comeback if it goes wrong.

I just don’t really get what you expect anyone to say? What can anyone say except for basically “don’t use PPG”?

tomhoward

Because it brings it in line with ebay and buying from a shop

Shops have to comply with SOGA and distance selling regs, paypal allows them to do this easily and relatively cheaply.

Private sellers dont, so there is no benefit to the seller paying for it, if the the buyer wants the protection, they can pay for it if they want.

nickjb
    Free Member

When you buy something just post on the original for sale thread to say it all went well. I presume most people check a bit of history before sending money.

convert

Think of PP commission as insurance. You chose to self insure instead and today is pay up day. All up has this self insurance method left you up or down overall on your dealings here?

root
    Free Member

I wonder the biggest scam was on here where someone paid PPG? I swear I saw a 1k+ bike go months back on PPG and nothing turned up. I couldn’t imagine sending that much money into the ether with no come back whatsoever.

Edit: browser crashed.

root
    Free Member

Think of PP commission as insurance.

Exactly.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Nickjb has it right, if you buy something and all goes well post on the original sale ad that they are trusted etc
    I hope all the folk that had stuff off me lately will do the same

cheers_drive

If you don’t want to pay the PP commission you could always collect in person. I suspect that in most cases that would cost more though 😐

empireofthefun
    Free Member

I just sold a frame yesterday for over £500 and the pp commission was approx £15. Hardly a big price to pay for a bit of peace of mind for the buyer. When I am selling an item I just figure in a bit to cover the fees in the overall price I wish to accept for said item. Obviously if someone wants to pay cash and pick up then price alters accordingly

Tom-B
    Free Member

Just don’t use PayPal gift ffs! It really is that simple. Perhaps the main forum needs a sticky that simply says ‘Do not pay for goods on classifieds with PayPal gift’ **** me sideways!!

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Post on the original ad all went well GREAT IDEA.Problem with that 75% of all i sell on here the people dont even say they have the item.You presume they have because they have not got back to you.I keep the certificate of posting for ages just in case.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

i don’t use paypal bank transfer or nothing

Pridds

When i’m selling stuff i ask people to pay by paypal and say that i would prefer it by PPG. if someone is happy to do PPG then great, if not then i accept a bit less money for the item but its not a huge amount so not a massive issue. I bought quite a bit and have used a mixture of gift and non gift and it depends on the amount, whether i recognize the username and what their posting history as to whether i use PPG or not.
    It is totally up to the individuals involved as to how they spend their money. Singletrack can advise people not to use PPG but this is a community forum and as a community we are trusting of each other as we are all mountain bikers. This sometimes leads to a situation where that trust is misplaced and anyone caught out by this has to name and shame so others will not be caught out

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘potential scammers on here’ is closed to new replies.