Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Potential new Nukeproof mega build – some advice?
  • thatpeskylimey
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’m potentially going to upgrade my frame/forks and have a couple of questions. I hope you can help.

I’m looking at the Nukeproof Mega as a frame upgrade with some Rockshox Domain 160mm forks.

Currently I ride a small frame Commencal Meta 5.5 on a talas 140 fork and i really like the frame geometry and the way it rides.
    Im 5’10 and have 30″ leg so Im a bit confused with frame sizes as I fall into the small and medium category on their sizing chart.
    I wondered if anyone here has one or could share their thoughts/opinions on how they ride and what might be best?
    I’d go look at one but theres no stockists in or near Norfolk it seems…

The other thing is chainsets. Apologies in advance if its a simple question and im being a dumbass – It wouldnt be the first time and wont be the last.
    I have a Raceface Atlas 3x ring chainset but the Mega only can run a 2x. Am I able to simply drop a ring from mine and run as a 2x? I dont know if the spacing is the same.

Thanks in advance!

kayak23

I’m 5’8″ and had a carpark razz on a medium which felt about right. I think a medium would be right for you but you need to try it really….

boxxer7
    Free Member

Im 5,10 with a slightly longer leg, im on a medium, the frames are on the small side.

Yes your right can only run 2 rings up front, you can just remove your big ring, although you may want too get a 36T up front, Guessing you have a 32T?

Ride wise……Cockpit is short, but the bike is long which can make it difficult too manual. But as a result of being long its super stable at speed. The linkage is well designed imo, Im running a CCDB and its my only bike which i use for XC and AM/DH, it Climbs really well doesnt really feel like a 6″travel bike.

The rear axle makes the rear feel super stiff with no flexyness as you put the power down. The frames not the lightest available (by a long shot) but at the price I cant argue. Personally I thought the Rear Shock (RS monarch RT3) was absoloutely rubbish.

HTH

Dave.

cumbrianmonkey
    Free Member

I’m 5’11 and on a medium. I run a 40mm stem and renthal fat bars with the 30mm rise. As boxxer7 said the cock pit is short and when I had flat renthals on it I felt a little too over the front. I also cut my bars down from 780 to 760 to combat this a bit too. I’m happy enough with the shock for now but if I was taking it to the Alps I think it might kill it (the shock) so I would change it for a CCDB too. I’m gonna wait for the air one before I commit to spending the money tho just to see how they compare. As someone else said the frames aren’t the lightest so I would maybe think of putting Lyriks on it rather than Domains, save yourself a little weight, I’ve got 160mm uturns on mine and it feels a perfect match.

steezysix
    Free Member

Just take off your big ring and put on a bashguard – should work fine. Also, I’ve got the 160mm Domain and they’re great, a little bit heavier than others but super strong and great value. They’re what’s going on my Mega when it arrives!

thatpeskylimey
    Free Member

Cheers for all your advice. I really want to try to get to see one before I buy but its great having some feedback on them from people who ride them (or are about to)!

It would be a direct replacement for the Meta as my only “Do it all” bike (just a bit newer) so it seems to fit pretty well for that role.

Glad Im able to use my cranks as I really like them – im running a 32 ring currently but it needs replacing anyway.

Thanks again!

boxxer7
    Free Member

Maybe someone from the forum is close by? Where are you based?

thatpeskylimey
    Free Member

Norwich – Go to brandon quite a lot.

I am off up to the peak in November so am planning to try to stop into JE James on the way through if I can hold out a month 😀

mrblobby
    Free Member

Definitely try and get a ride on one. I’ve got one for trips to the alps, but I wouldn’t want it as a “do it all” bike. I find it’s too long and heavy to be a fun bike for most UK trail riding, However if most of your riding is over steep and rocky stuff then it’s a fantastic bike, and I love it over that type of terrain. It really needs quite a lot of gravity for it to come alive.

For me, on typical UK trail centre style trails, it’s just not nearly as much fun as a lighter, shorter travel bike.

However, if you want a mini DH bike that you can also ride uphill without too much effort, and have the terrain to do it justice, it’ll be ace.

You’d be welcome to have a go on mine but I’m down south and it’s the 18″ size.

Oh and your chain set will be fine. Just take off the big ring. You might want to swap your middle ring for a 34 or 36 as it’s designed to work best with that size of ring.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Potential new Nukeproof mega build – some advice?’ is closed to new replies.