Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Potential eBay problem… advice?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I sold an item and posted it on the 22/9/10, I have the proof of postage.

Buyer tells me it’s not arrived, and I have no reason to doubt this but it’s only been a week and Royal Mail say I have to wait 15 working days before the item is considered lost (So 14/10/10) and I can claim for it.

Fine so far, but the buyer seems to be getting agitated. I’ve made it clear, very politely, that I will issue a refund if it doesn’t arrive by 14/10/10, but that we have to wait that long first.

As far as I can see I’ve played it by the book, but is there potential for the buyer to cop a strop about this? It’s not a huge amount of money involved, but I don’t want to loose out….

Whaddya think?

Waderider
    Free Member

I think ebay is a nest of vipers.

And that you are doing the right thing.

cynic-al
    Free Member

That’s how I’ve played it – explaining why to the idiot buyer may help.

j_me
    Free Member

I think you have the right approach.
    If its peanuts I would probably refund it to save the hassle/-ve feedback potential and put him on his honour to get back in touch if it turs up. Is it recorded? And can you claim for Lost mail if it is not sent recorded ?

Cletus

I can see why the buyer is getting agitated so it is best to keep up communication with them. Send them details of the RM policies re. loss (you probably have already done this) and maybe ask to speak to them on the phone – if they actually talk to you and have your number for updates they will be reassured and not think you are a scammer.

djglover
    Free Member

People have plans, they buy stuff and don’t receive it. That screws those plans up.

perhaps a little empathy would help?

scaredypants

find out from RM what they need from you to pursue a claim (I’m guessing they’ll want written conf from buyer that it hasn’t arrived, dated at 15 days from posting). If you tell buyer what you’ll need from them in advance in order to push things along, they’ll hopefully cheer up and be ready to act ASAP. send a photo of the proof of posting to them as well to reassure in the meantime ?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I think you’re doing the right thing. If it were me I’d understand. However some people get a bit daft about it and will just hit the report seller button. Pain in the neck how it works now as I don’t think you get any say….

Just stay in touch and hopefully it will turn up.

Divagirl
    Free Member

This happened to me. Not a lot of money so I refunded after about a week because I didn’t want to take a hit with the feedback and then started a claim with Royal mail once the 15 working days were up.

RM ask for a statement or completed form from the other party too as part of the reclaiming process but there is no incentive for them to play ball if they already have their money refunded so if you refund in advance, get them to write something first to state the item never arrived.

My other party didn’t bother for me. I got my money back from RM in the end (about a month later) but I had to be quite er assertive on the phone a couple of times.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I can see why the buyer is getting agitated so it is best to keep up communication with them. Send them details of the RM policies re. loss (you probably have already done this)

Yep, already done.

perhaps a little empathy would help?

Oh come on! I’ve apologised, I’ve been polite, I’ve responded every time, I’ve played by the book. What do you want? Blood?

(It’s a pair of sunglasses FWIW)

I’m guessing they’ll want written conf from buyer that it hasn’t arrived, dated at 15 days from posting

Surprisingly not, no. I’ve already checked. Just addresses and a reciept.

RM ask for a statement or completed form from the other party too as part of the reclaiming process but there is no incentive for them to play ball if they already have their money refunded so if you refund in advance, get them to write something first to state the item never arrived.

My other party didn’t bother for me. I got my money back from RM in the end (about a month later) but I had to be quite er assertive on the phone a couple of times.

That’s the bit that bothers me, although the claim form I’ve downloaded has no mention of this…

Divagirl
    Free Member

That’s the bit that bothers me, although the claim form I’ve downloaded has no mention of this…

This is a couple of years ago so perhaps the policy has changed. But there was no mention of it either when I started to make the claim. Once RM receive your claim, they get in touch with the other party and you have to hope they respond – they will if they are still waiting for their money! You have to keep chasing it and then trying to coax along the other party to help out. In the end, it worked out for me but it was stressful – the RM bit.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahh yes I see now, thanks for the info! 🙂

PeteG55
    Free Member

Its why everything I sell on ebay goes recorded. It has to be signed for at the other end. Maybe I’ve been lucky, but not lost anything so far.

Divagirl
    Free Member

PeteG55 – Member
    Its why everything I sell on ebay goes recorded. It has to be signed for at the other end. Maybe I’ve been lucky, but not lost anything so far.

+1 Me too since the reclaim debacle.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

To be fair, I meant to sed it recoreded and didn’t by accident. Doesn’t help if it’s not delivered though…..

br
    Free Member

I had this last year, we waited a week and then I refunded (£40).

A week later the parcel was returned to me by the RM – 2 attempts to sign – buyer was housebound with broken leg – so we guess postie didn’t bother waiting…

I emailed the buyer and they paid and I re-sent.

But of course it could’ve all come out differently…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Cant you not still track it from the receipt even if its not recorded? (Im sure you kept the receipt didnt you!)

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Bigyinn – no, proof of postage is pretty much that. The postmaster says you sent something to somebody. To be honest, Recorded isn’t really tracked, if it goes missing you have no idea where it’s gone. All there is is proof of delivery based on a signature, not like couriers where you can see it’s in the, say, Durham depot after going via Scunthorpe.

PP – is it worth the buyer checking with his sorting office to see if is just sitting around? It’s been known to happen and the postie hasn’t put a red card through the door.

higgo
    Free Member

…is it worth the buyer checking with his sorting office to see if is just sitting around? It’s been known to happen and the postie hasn’t put a red card through the door.

If the buyer hasn’t checked at the sorting office already they should. I have found stuff there.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Persist. You’re in the right, buyer might be honest but then why get so worked up if delivery can take up to a fortnight – we’ve all had RM cock up a delivery at some point, lets just hope for your sake RM have not lost it!

Buyer might also be scamming, in which case you lose the money & never see item again.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP – is it worth the buyer checking with his sorting office to see if is just sitting around? It’s been known to happen and the postie hasn’t put a red card through the door.

I’ll make the suggestion, thankyou 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Potential eBay problem… advice?’ is closed to new replies.