Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Potential eBay 'mare
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Just sold a bike locally on eBay, buyer took it home then says it’s too small, can I take it back.

Presently saying no but I am guessing he won’t have to make much up to force a return through eBay?

Oh thankfully a cash sale not PayPal

cloudnine
    Free Member

Tell him you’ve spent the money..

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Oh thankfully a cash sale not PayPal

So the buyer got to see the bike before handing over the cash.

mickmcd
    Free Member

Tell him it was stolen and if he doesn’t quiet down you will snitch him

footflaps

If he saw it before paying, then there’s no come back.

Garry_Lager

Depends on the bike you sold. If it’s a commuter or something to ride to the alehouse then I’d tell him to stop wasting your time.
    If it’s a proper bike then you have to take it back IMHO – it doesn’t fit him so why would you want to stick him with that?

Bregante

eBay can stick it. If you completed the sale outside of eBay then I can’t see what they could do?

footflaps

If it’s a proper bike then you have to take it back IMHO – it doesn’t fit him so why would you want to stick him with that?

WTF?

If someone comes and collects it i.e. sees it before buying, then it’s their fault if it’s the wrong size. No obligation to take it back at all.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well he’s stopped calling and texting…for now.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Bregante – Member
    eBay can stick it. If you completed the sale outside of eBay then I can’t see what they could do?

I marked it paid, should I not have?

Time to cancel?

Garry_Lager

footflaps – Member

WTF?

If someone comes and collects it i.e. sees it before buying, then it’s their fault if it’s the wrong size. No obligation to take it back at all. Pipe down son. Do you ride bikes, or just post on here out of a vicarious need to experience mountain biking?
    A win-lose ebay transaction is not something I’m interested in, and the majority of cyclists would feel the same way. And yeah buyer’s remorse is a ballache to deal with, but it has to be accommodated as lumbering someone with an ill-fitting bike is not acceptable to me.

bearnecessities

Christmas Owl is watching you…

slowoldman

Hang on Gary_Lager, all footflaps said is there is no obligation to take it back and I think he’s right.

taxi25
    Free Member

I wouldn’t refund ? Once it goes out the door it’s his bike, why would you buy a bike identical to the one you’ve just sold 😉
    If I sell anything I’ve listed on ebay for cash I just cancel the listing, bit of an error there cynic !

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Some bellend did this to me once.

He won my bike on eBay, inspected then paid cash, then phoned next day to complain about the condition (even though every defect he’d complained about was declared in my listing).

I told him to bring it back and I gave him his money back.

Legally I probably didn’t have to but I just felt like doing it anyway.

cynic-al
    Free Member

bit of an error there cynic !

I accepted his offer on eBay then he paid cash, no option to cancel.

Oh and Garry the buyer has lumbered himself…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sounds like buyers remorse, and the size issue a red herring. Ignore him.

Northwind

Garry_Lager – Member

A win-lose ebay transaction is not something I’m interested in, and the majority of cyclists would feel the same way.

No matter what it’s a win/lose- someone’s getting lumbered with a bike they don’t want. Whoever it is, is no doubt going to want to sell it on. What difference does it make which it is?

taxi25
    Free Member

Oh and Garry the buyer has lumbered himself…

^^^this
    We’ve all bought stuff that on reflection isn’t quite right for us.
    cynic-al isn’t Tesco’s it’s up to the new owner to decide what they do with their bike. It’s no longer any of cynics business.

maccruiskeen

If he’s bought it and its the wrong size or he doesn’t like it …. then he might be able to find some sort of online auction website for selling stuff you don’t want any more.

footflaps

Nothing Ebay can do about it if he paid cash. Paypal / Ebay can be a right pain as a seller as they always side with the buyer and auto refund no matter what (inc when the goods haven’t been returned). One scam doing the rounds is the buyer posts the goods to a mate, and submits the send receipt as proof of return. Ebay auto refunds even though the address doesn’t match the seller…

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Nothing Ebay can do about it if he paid cash. Paypal / Ebay can be a right pain as a seller as they always side with the buyer and auto refund no matter what (inc when the goods haven’t been returned). One scam doing the rounds is the buyer posts the goods to a mate, and submits the send receipt as proof of return. Ebay auto refunds even though the address doesn’t match the seller…

Except in the case of the buyer who bought some kit from me. He lodged a complaint and I, the seller, won. 😀

footflaps

and I, the seller, won.

Well done, that’s a pretty rare occurrence!

Northwind

footflaps – Member

Paypal / Ebay can be a right pain as a seller as they always side with the buyer

No truth in this ime- I sell a lot of stuff on ebay, the only claims I’ve ever lost are ones when I’ve screwed up- either the complaint has some merit, or I didn’t go through the claim process properly. (it’s designed to be hard to follow, I swear…) I’ve also had buyer claims rejected. It might help that I’ve got a fairly epic seller rating, though.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Well done, that’s a pretty rare occurrence!

Apparently not.

I’ve also had buyer claims rejected.

#MythBusters 😛

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Go on then, give us some examples of a claim that a buyer has put in that’s been rejected.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Go on then, give us some examples of a claim that a buyer has put in that’s been rejected.

I sold something to a buyer, he complained that it arrived damaged. I told him not to install or use it. He installed and tried to use it. It then became impossible to determine where or how the damage came about.
    I had been quite prepared to refund, replace and let him keep the original for spares if the damage had, indeed, happened during transit & if he had complied with my request, he didn’t and paid for it. All emails and dates confirming the truth were supplied to Ebay.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Fair one; couldn’t he have just uninstalled it and claimed he’d never installed it to start with?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Fair one; couldn’t he have just uninstalled it and claimed he’d never installed it to start with?

Now you expect me to understand the thinkings of a muppet? For the love of god! 😛
    I couldn’t believe that he’d installed it.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😀 Some people!

I sold a road bike a few years ago to a chap. I got an ebay message from him a year later saying the bike was too big and he’d swapped to a smaller size, and would i like to buy it back off him for “sentimental value” ❓

Northwind

captainsasquatch – Member

One scam doing the rounds is the buyer posts the goods to a mate, and submits the send receipt as proof of return. Ebay auto refunds even though the address doesn’t match the seller…

I had that one. Complained, got it overturned pretty much instantly.

Me as a buyer- received an incorrect item. Seller insisted item was the same despite pics. Ebay found in his favour. The difference was fairly technical and I think they just went “well they’re both blue, right?”.

Seller ones have been mostly very similar- sell good item, buyer chances arm, I show he’s bullshitting, ebay agrees. You waste a lot of time on this, I’m pretty sure it’s designed to discourage people from fighting claims but I’m a a small minded prick so I go to the death with all of them.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It’s interesting to hear the stories; there seems to be so many of them (chancers)

I’ve only ever had positive experiences both buying and selling (not much selling though). Have had to use the claims thingy a few times recently, just uploaded good pics of the problems and ebay have found in my favour almost instantly.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I’ve only ever had positive experiences both buying and selling (not much selling though). Have had to use the claims thingy a few times recently, just uploaded good pics of the problems and ebay have found in my favour almost instantly.

It’s all about attitude and too many customers people believe that the customer is always right. 🙄

frankconway

Buyer knew the size as stated in your ebay post so…..go check online size guides, either generic for bike type or brand specific – let’s assume they just might have a grain of common sense – and compare their measurements with readily available size guides.
    Did the buyer ask any questions, on ebay, about measurements or geometry?
    Caveat Emptor. Not Caveat Venditor.
    Either ignore them or, preferably, tell them they could and should have checked dimensions/geometry from publicly available information.
    You’re not responsible for them failing to satisfy themselves about the absolute basics…..oooh look at that lovely coat, i’m going to buy it withhout checking it’s my size.
    Be polite but say…..no

footflaps

and they’ve made the Guardian’s worst customer service list

Ebay – if you’re a buyer, that is. You can purchase a designer top, swap it for a pound of beetroot, claim you were diddled and get your money back. You can buy a bike, race it up and down a mountain range and return it three weeks later claiming a fault. Ebay will refund you. Although this magnanimity is less attractive if you’re the seller left to pick up the tab. Ebay explains that its refund policy, which seems blatantly weighted against sellers, is to make buyers feel “comfortable” shopping in its marketplace.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/dec/19/2016-awards-worst-customer-service

kayla1
    Free Member

Be polite but if that fails tell him to GRTF.

DezB
    Free Member

and they’ve made the Guardian’s worst customer service list

Sounds more like a “worst customers” list by the description. However, seeing as ebay probably has the biggest customer base in the world (I have no official figures) then it’s pretty likely that it has the best AND worst customers.

Be interested in an update from Al. In my view, if he said “no returns accepted” in his auction/ad, then that’s what you stick by.

chakaping
    Free Member

“I’ve spent it on my Christmas dinner, do you want my children to go hungry?”

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Potential eBay 'mare’ is closed to new replies.