Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Posture braces
  • reluctantlondoner

I’ve got the dreaded humpy/rounded back thing going on as a cyclist and desk jockey – I’m wondering about using a posture brace to start the fightback.

Does anyone have any experience of these things?

ulysse
    Free Member

The bells?

reluctantlondoner

It’s true. Small children run away to escape the sight of me 😉

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I thought the posture thing was debunked by now. I’m a sloucher and had an H&S assessment at my desk at work. I was expecting to get a bollocking form the ‘inspector’ when I demonstrated my slouchy desk style, but they said nothing. I did query it and they said it was not encouraged now – apparently sitting bolt upright at your desk for hours on end holding an unnatural position and posture actually causes back and neck issues, and sitting in a relaxing slouch relaxes the muscles and is better for your back. Ultimately sitting at a desk for hours on end is bad for you full stop, so they now recommend that you get up from your desk regularly and walk somewhere. Maybe going to talk to that person who sits at the other end of the office rather than emailing them.

maccruiskeen

Maybe going to talk to that person who sits at the other end of the office rather than emailing them.

Smelly Geoff? No chance. He’s at the other end of the office for a reason.

chiefgrooveguru

I’m prone to letting my upper back round and I find deadlifts really help straighten me out.

Tallpaul
    Free Member

I have one that I bought a few years ago. Six months daily use in combination with physio and focused exercise made a noticeable difference to my posture I.e people actually commented that I was standing taller and straighter.

However, the brace was uncomfortable and I could only wear it for an hour or two at a time. I still pop it on occasionally to ‘remind’ myself what good posture should feel like. A quick google suggests there are better designs available that may be more comfortable than mine.

If you are serious, I’d consult a physio. It will take time and direction to get results. I wouldn’t recommend doing anything without a professional assessment/guidance.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Point your sternum towards the ceiling, everything else will follow.
    Then get in the gym and do squats, deadlifts, dips, pullups and pushups, you then will need to stretch all those tight muscles that are pulling you into that kyphotic posture.
    Lastly get a regular sports massage.
    I know this works because i was that Quasi and if you want an easy quick fix then you’ll end up staying like it and probably get worse.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Lie on the floor for your afternoon kip.

geoffj

Pilates

shermer75
    Free Member

Any position held for long periods of time will eventualycause pain and lead to some kind of pathology. Movement is good, every 20-30 minutes if possible, even if it’s just a few shrugs and rolls of the shoulders.

Re: humped back, not sure what is causing that, it could be a few different things. Nothing wrong with spending a few quid on a physio to find out! 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

apparently sitting bolt upright at your desk for hours on end holding an unnatural position and posture actually causes back and neck issues

Hah.. I had an argument with the work posture lady about this about 15 years ago.. hehe 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

Get your GF a nice tight fitting corset and lace her into it, it’ll improve her posture at least…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Posture braces’ is closed to new replies.