Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Postage options for selling a heavyish item?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m just parcelling up a bike rack and accessories to sell on here, ebay or local buy/swap/sell pages. It’s going to weigh something like 15kg, maybe a bit more, and will be 3-4 feet long. Royal Mail would be £30+ , which isn’t going to appeal to buyers, nor me. What other options are there?

Stoner
    Free Member

I found Royal Mail the only people I could easily use to send a dog guard that weighed 10Kg+. That cost £22 48hr.

My preference is hermes but the length was too long.

oldboy
    Free Member

Hermes if the size conforms to their requirements, otherwise try ipost (sent a frame with them recently). Avoid Royal Mail at all costs!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Aye, got a price from my hermse which was a third of RM. 15kg max though so could be tight – I like to package stuff thoroughly.

maccruiskeen

Using Parcel2Go I’ve found the cheapest option for weightier stuff is via UPS on on their drop off at a local shop service (Brantano Shoes in my case) rather than them collecting from you. Cheaper option still is if the recipient also collects from their local shop too rather then delivered to their door.

Don’t know about something of such large dimensions though – it might rule out some carriers

thegreatape
    Free Member

14.8kg without any packaging! I wonder how fussy they are?

d45yth
    Free Member

Try Parcelmonkey or Interparcel – I recently sold a massive gas fire that weighed over 40kg…it still cost less than £30 to send!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll look at them.

sniff
    Free Member

Paisley Freight just delivered a 15kg bike rack to me for £22.80. Go to the calculator bit rather than the standard items.

Top service.

bensales
    Free Member

Honestly, just make it collection only. Delivery prices that high put people off, and oddly people would rather spend that sort of cash in fuel collecting, than in delivery charges.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I thought about that Ben, but I’m not very central.

welshfarmer

INterparcel. I have sent 25 kg to Italy for less than £30 and regularly used to send stuff that was a good 4 foot long. Mostly it is UPS that they deal with who have always been spot on. Don’t use Hermes unless you are not worried about losing the item!!!

philb88
    Free Member

Try ipost, which is run by UKMail. Always worked well for me and it’s 24hr delivery, think they take upto 25kg for about half RM prices!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Myhermes aren’t that fussy, and the post is free if you use “tvfree” code. Just pay for insurance.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Postage options for selling a heavyish item?’ is closed to new replies.