Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Post your positive bike commuting experiences
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

I posted this on my original ‘Punishment Pass’ thread but wanted to give a higher profile to people’s positive experiences of commuting as a balance to that one.

So share your positive experiences.

On the ride home Tuesday, the day I had the original experience, I hooked up with a chap called Mark from Dorking CC. He was heading back to Westcott, me to Dorking. We shared the ride home, I showed him my route via the back roads over Headley Common and we had a fantastic training session, egging each other on and having a much better ride home as a result.

Then there’s ‘Mr Mercian’. I usually see him somewhere between Epsom and Morden and he rides the most gorgeous British Racing Green Mercian I’ve seen. We always say hello and chat.

‘Mr Roberts’ is a big lad. 1.9m tall and built like a second row rugby player. He’s powerful on the bike and has in his garage four Chas Roberts bikes, with the one I see him on being a very lovely cream coloured Reynolds 953 affair. When he kicks on the short incline before the mosque in Morden it’s all I can to keep his wheel.

There’s the girl who rides a Condor Squadra and works as a teacher. I’ve met her partner as well a few times as well on separate occassions and he’s very quick.

I sometimes see Njee from here on my way in. He’s a thoroughly nice chap as well. It’s great riding his wheel and feeling like I’ve come a long way since I started commuting in on the bike (30kg lighter, a fair bit quicker)

Yesterday on my way in I caught up with Gordon at the top of Box Hill. He’s a former Regimental Seargent Major from the infantry. 25 years service but now works as a Bursary for a financial services company in Mitcham. He’s 60 years young but twice a week he rides to work over Box Hill. His last posting was to Bosnia where he worked with UNHCR as a peace keeper.

There’s another chap I’ve seen a few times who rides from Dorking to, I think, Hammersmith. He’s distinguished by the fact he wears very smart 3/4 length trousers rather than bibs or tights and by the fact that he’s really quick. Lovely chap but hwile I can just about keep his wheel on a clear run, I always lose him in the traffic so I don’t know so much about him.

Rockplough
    Free Member

This morning I got pretty much all the green lights which is great, except my ride into work is essentially a 4 mile climb. So no rest, and the last wee bit is a steep hill which on 46×17 fixed is a bit like doing body-weight single leg presses. Buckled me, but felt good about it after excessive fish and chips last night.

Not even sure if that’s a positive experience.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I regularly cruise alongside a heron on my way to work- I’ve followed it for 2.5 miles before, it follows the canal too. They don’t half shift, I go a good few miles an hour faster trying to keep up. Followed him again this morning.

There’s a swan’s nest I go past too at the minute with the mother curled up snoozing while the father stands guard.

I start my ride with around a mile and a half of fast, rocky singletrack descent- which I’m about to increase to almost 2 miles.

I rarely see anyone at all for the first 6 or 7 miles.

It’s nice- just holding out for a sight of a watervole one morning. Always bonk on the new way home though, too the point where I can barely pedal, so I’m going to have to adjust my eating. I want to lose weight though so the balance is hard.

g5604
    Free Member

On good days I get to zip through waves crashing above me head. This is significantly better than the bus.

amedias
    Free Member

I got buzzed by an owl on a random dark commute a few months back, I was cruising along the estuary path, totally alone taking in the moonlight and the sound of my own tyres when I suddenly became aware of a shadow above my right shoulder, turned to see a (barn?) Owl cruising along not more than a couple of feet away from me just above head height, we looked at each other for a moment, and then parted ways again, it must have only lasted a few seconds but it felt like forever and I swear he gave me a little nod before he banked off and disappeared into the night.

had a smile on all the way home after that, it beats my more normal rabbit-dodging wildlife experiences 🙂

I rarely get time to chat to other people while commuting 🙁

scaled
    Free Member

My favorite one is the old chap from Seamons CC that i’ve never seen on a bike but we always have a good chat about bikes and he tells me off for not cleaning my chain properly.

He’s got this old staffie that’s about twice the weight it should be but he takes her for a walk every morning and evening litter picking along the local foot paths as he goes. I make sure I always say thank you.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

g5604 – you are Jacques Cousteau and I claim my £5!

faustus

Off road commute yesterday, deliberately took the long route home. About 85% dusty off-road, lots of lovely singletrack, hardly anyone else about. Saw a sparrowhawk in the morning and on the way home (different bird in different places). Off road commuting will always be better then the road!

Edit – I see the for some, riding with others is the joy. There are people at work and home, so it’s nice to get away from it all in between for me! 😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

Off road commuting will always be better then the road!

Well it’s more serene, but I think you meet less people. That might be a bonus in some people’s view of course [satre]Hell is other people[/Satre]

IHN

I wasn’t commuting by bike, but I saw a chap pushing a punctured-tyred bike in the other direction who obviously was, so I stopped to see if he was okay.

Turns out his spare tube had a hole in it and he still had about twenty miles to go, so I stuck his bike in the back of the van and gave him a lift back to mine (I’d only just left home). Anyway, he fixed his puncture, had a brew and continued on his way with a spare tube of mine 🙂

lunge

Yesterday was pretty good for me actually. I had a truck wait behind me whilst I wheezed up a hill, when he had space he nipped past and gave me a thumbs up, I smiled. Another then sat behind me for a mile making me push a bit harder for the last mile home. And a car spotted me behind him, dropped his speed a touch and let me sit in his slipstream for 1/2 a mile between lights, I know this as when I got to the lights he stuck his head out, smiled and asked if I enjoyed the tow.

And I was only 4 minutes off my 36 mile PB from work to home, not bad when I still have my winter insulation in place.

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

I found out that if I didn’t use my car for work, domestic use only rather than biusiness and domestic I saved £100 on my insurance, that’s pretty positive.

I don’t have to sit in traffic jams whilst my car depreciates, I waste fuel and my backside gets fat – there’s another positive aspect.

I can ride on or off road to work too.

nbt

Commuting along the canal is usually great, often see herons (sometimes they don’t even move as I pass) and occasionally see kingfishers.

Have recently started a longer commute by road incuding some hills, in an effort to get fit for a big charity ride. I seem to be fitter than I’d thought, though not as fit as I need to be.

geetee1972
    Free Member

so I stuck his bike in the back of the van and gave him a lift back to mine

You’re a good egg Simon 😀 And I will steadfastly resist the opportunity to degrade that comment with some sort of ‘Dave bromance’ reference.

IHN

You’re a good egg Simon

Aw, shucks.

it’s actually the second time I’ve done it, the first time I gave a chap a lift home as I was going in the right direction.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I am always pleasantly surprised by how many car drivers treat me decently. There are a couple of places on my regular routes where I need to be in the right hand lane of a busy (but not too fast moving) multi-lane road. Almost without fail if I shoulder check and indicate confidently someone will slow down slightly to let me move out in front of them. I used to try to avoid these junctions or (in one case take the circuitous bike route across crossings) but most drivers are actually pretty decent.

yunki
    Free Member

Double whammy of bonhomie for me last night on the way home from school..

I’d abandoned the kids in their trailer outside co-op while I nipped in for a pint of milk, and two strangers in front of me in the queue noticed this and cheerfully offered to let me go ahead of them so that I could get back out and tend to the little ‘uns..

Once I’d gotten outside and barked at the boys for fighting (this caused big grins of camaraderie from my good samaritans) a delightfully friendly and attractive yummy mummy stepped up to mention her admiration of my strength and stamina.. She was also a trailer user and was apparently quite impressed that I towed two children all over town regularly as a primary mode of transport..

It was flippin ace to get some recognition for my work ‘cos although I make it look effortless 😉 I’m also fairly sure that my heart rate is regularly maxed out and, although non-cyclists think it’s cute and bonkers I don’t think they appreciate the amount of dedication it takes

pondo

When I cycle to work, I’m happier and I lose weight and feel better. I’ve seen herons and deer and ducks and squirrels and rabbits and moor hens and other birds I don’t know the names of. Love it. 🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

As above 😀

fasthaggis

There is rarely (if ever)anything negative about my commute,I luvs it I do.

Earlier in the week,I saw someone ahead of me on a big straight and did the ” target acquired” voice in my head* , tried to reel them in ,but it wasn’t working,more effort needed,slowly,but slowly I caught them.
    E-bike 😀 . He gives a cheery “morning” while I could hardly breath 🙂

* Sorry,I can’t help it

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Towards the end of last summer on my bridleway ride home, just about dusk on the last really tree lined part of my commute, I was aware of somehting in front of me, it took a moment for me to focus on it, when i became aware of about six bats flying along in front of me, they stayed there for about half a mile, and it was the most surreal and also serene experience ive had so far

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Riding to work this morning. Car overtakes, hits brakes and turns left into side road. Positives = I managed to brake enough to avoid death

kraftyone
    Free Member

I’ve recently moved and my commute is a touch longer but now 95% of road. I can stop off at the allotment to water this years (hopefully bounteous) chili crop on the way home, have a chat with all the old fellas and feel like I’ve earned my beer when I get home.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Riding last night – Desdending farmers track, nobody about, 40mph and chicken jumps out. Hit the brakes and skidded for about 100 yards whilst the chicken screamed ample amounts of chicken fear very loudly. I screamed too. Positives = both I and the chicken are ok

chief1409
    Free Member

I commute from Cambuslang into Glasgow daily. Only 10km each way but more than half is along the side of the River Clyde and through Glasgow Green away from the cars.
    It still amazes me how much wildlife is down there. A couple of weeks ago I saw an otter on the cycle path and this was only a mile from the city centre of Glasgow. I was also buzzed by an owl about 100 yards from my house a few weeks ago.
    The old river is certainly a much nicer place than it used to be!

medoramas
    Free Member

Commuting by bike can be dreadful in the winter – we all know that (but the REAL MEN do it anyway!).

But now, everyday I go through the woods on my way to work I am the happiest man on the planet! Birds singing, woodpeckers woodpecking, dog walkers don’t give a damn s*it where their dogs are… Oh, wait – delete the last one! 😆

njee20
    Free Member

Like Geetee I enjoy meeting the people – including his good self. That was the best thing about riding into London IMO!

Much quieter out in the Sussex lanes, but plenty of nice experiences with patient cars and friendly locals and what not!

it’s actually the second time I’ve done it, the first time I gave a chap a lift home as I was going in the right direction.

I’ve never given anyone a lift (have offered), but as I’ve usually got a track pump in the car I have on a number of occasions pulled over and fixed someone’s puncture for them, no one’s ever failed to be very grateful.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Smiling reading this thread…well done OP.
    Nice to hear about the positives, rather than the normally negative vibe commuting gets.
    Unfortunately I live 50 metres from my work so no longer enjoy the commute, but seeing as i’m not back until 5pm and the sun is out, i’ll dust off the singlespeed and go for a blast instead of painting the shed.

NewRetroTom

I’ve seen an otter 3 times in the 6 months I’ve been commuting along the Union canal from the centre of Edinburgh to Ratho. Also seen a kingfisher twice. Love a bit of wildlife!

andysredmini
    Free Member

Bit of an obscure thing to be positive about but I got knocked off by a car a few months ago (friday 13th) whilst commuting to work. Some parts on my commuter were ruined so the ladies insurance paid out which means I could buy a new Santacruz Nomad which I’m hopefully picking up later this afternoon. Apart from some whiplash pain which I’m having physio for paid for by her insurance it was well worth it. I wouldn’t want to do it again though just in case I’m not so lucky next time.

jambalaya
    Free Member

GeeTee quite a story plus this wow good for you

30kg lighter, a fair bit quicker

Nothing quite so exciting, 10 mins on a Boris bike through Belgravia looking out for the nice cars parked on the streets. 20-30 mins home on a nice day via a lap of Hyde Park.

geetee1972
    Free Member

which means I could buy a new Santacruz Nomad which I’m hopefully picking up later this afternoon.

Whoop whoop! That’s something everyone can enjoy on your behalf. Pictures on this thread as soon as you get it home.

edhornby

stopped one morning, there was a young lad on a SS who I thought had a puncture, had the ‘oh no I’m stuck’ bodylanguage, his driveside crank bolt was finger-loose ! luckily I had an 8mm hex in my bag so I could get him going again

had positive admiration for the Kona Ute which is nice especially when one or both of the kids are on the back

there is one lad who I sometimes see; probably about 5 or more years younger than me, definitely a club rider, probably a TTer or racer, he’s now nicknamed Tony Martin cos he’s quick and looks a bit like him. Trying to hold his wheel is always fun, most of the time I don’t but one time I was on my SS and duelled with him and got the thumbs up as we peeled off eventually (I coughed up a lung when out of sight)

met Simon and Adam Yates !!! just before they signed to orica, said hello as they filtered through the traffic, then at the start of a decent bus lane they turned on the afterburners and confirmed that they are probably the fastest bike riders I will ever ride with in my lifetime.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Said good morning to Jonathan Edwards yesterday morning as he was loading his nice Scott road bike into his car.

Today, had a nice conversation with a policeman as he waved me through a red light and told me I was on the best form of transport this morning. And he was right, complete gridlock all over town as a burst water main had brought everyone else to a standstill.

I think they count as positives.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Pics will have to wait. I should of said its only the frame and a few other bits I’m picking up later. I’m still waiting on a some parts. I have also got to wait for my LBS to build up the Light Bicycle rims onto some pro2 hubs. Its probably about another week off a finished bike.

TomB

Rode back from workington to keswick, via lowers water and whinlatter at 11pm after shift end. Didn’t see a car or anyone else for 15 miles, but did see owls, badgers and deer. Felt quite alone and at one with nature for a road ride, and realised I had no back up if my front light failed- no street lighting for 15 miles either. Fantastic!

mcj78
    Free Member

Random wildlife does it for me too – i’ve got 9 miles of rural cycletrack first thing in the morning before joining the road, if i leave early enough (before the joggers & dogwalkers rise) there’s allsorts on the path – loads of deer, rabbits, foxes & the occasional bird of prey – last week I went past big **** off buzzard sitting on a fencepost about 10 feet away which was impressive, I stopped to take a photo of it & the bugger actually waited patiently until I got my phone out, then flew away.

Also, I enjoy the fact that the first stint on the cyclepath takes a bit of energy out of me leaving me less inclined to go weaving in & out of traffic at top speed, sprinting to get through amber lights etc. and more likely to just plod along at a steady pace, which means I get to work less harassed than I used to.

Plus I just found a left over christmas cake in a filing cabinet & all the energy I burn off cycling allows me to eat pretty much whatever I like, whenever I like – so that’s got a big dent in it now. 😀

ebygomm
    Free Member

Red kite flying parallel to me for a couple of hundred metres the other day, kept looking to my right and there it was. Wish I’d had my camera

PJM1974
    Free Member

I posted this before, but a year or so ago rode up to a set of traffic lights at Trafalgar Square and stopped at the red signal. A BMW M something pulled up next to me and the driver wound down his window. I looked over to see the diver – a very heavily built black guy – lean over in my direction.

“Trouble with people these days is that everyone’s in a hurry. I’m off home to sit in my garden and enjoy a cold beer. I hope you do the same”.

He earned a thumbs up and a huge grin from me for that, it pretty much made my evening.

maxlite
    Free Member

Only do 5.5 miles each way, but its the best part of the day! Ride is mostly cycle track along sea front, I’ve seen a fox 2 days running this week (clutching a towel for an early morning swim :). I could ride on the road (as it runs parallel) but would not be as relaxing.

Usually combine runs with short sprints and then rest days.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Post your positive bike commuting experiences’ is closed to new replies.