Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Post-ride pint near Swinley – pub recommendations please
  • cinnamon_girl

Can anyone recommend a pub for a pint following the Swinley Forest Forum Ride? Looking at Crowthorne/Finchampstead/Wokingham/Bracknell/Windlesham areas I guess.

Criteria are need to be able to see car park from inside, open all day, able to cater for potentially a large number, are welcoming to mountain bikers, serve “man-sized” portions of food. Anything I’ve forgotten?

Thank you so much!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Jukebox, sexy bar staff, decent beer, no bonehead locals that look at you as if you shouldn’t be within 50 miles of ‘their’ pub.

Crisps.

Lemon + Skampi Nik Naks.

Heated smoking area.

Dominos.

Nice open fireplace.

Washing/drying facilities for muddy gear would be nice, too.

Not too much to ask, is it?

cinnamon_girl

Right, I think Rudeboy is being a bit picky 😉

So there must be some people on here that can recommend a pub that doesn’t fit Rudeboy’s criteria, pretty please?

Thank you so much!

andywhit
    Free Member

The Golden Retriever is probably the closest “OK” pub. Not sure if it meets all your and RudeFred’s requirements though, a recee would be required. Any excuse eh! 🙂

happysnapper
    Free Member

The Half Moon in Windlesham is pretty good. Does good food too (or at least did last time I was there). You can work it into a ride from Swinley if you feel like it too.

Straightliner

Golden Retriever is the closest, and isn’t bad for food portions. Not sure what they’ve think to muddy bikers going in, but if you’ve changed then shouldn’t be an issue. Can’t see the car park from the majority of the pub though.

Kings Arms in Bagshot (used to be a Hungry Horse) for cheap beer, big food portions and a car park you can see from inside the pub. Also the Three Mariners, but can’t see the car park.

There’s one on the road down to Sandhurst/the Meadows at the traffic lights but I can’t for the life of me think what it is called.

fingerbike
    Free Member

There’s one on the road down to Sandhurst/the Meadows at the traffic lights but I can’t for the life of me think what it is called.

Rackstraws, car park going all the way around the premises, so theres a few spots in there to see the cars from, rear building is a restaurant and the older building at the front is a pub…

cinnamon_girl

Well, I’m not too sure whether I will be able to make drinkies. I’m hoping that my fiancee is coming on Saturday and, more importantly, bringing my Christmas pressie. Men just seem unable to organise themselves sometimes, after all Christmas Day is the same day every year isn’t it? 🙄

What is a girl supposed to do?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

😯

tails
    Free Member

sorry to high jack but is crowthorne near this swinley place as i picked up a second hand bike frame there a month or so back, and there was nice bike shop in town. I did think it was strange location for a bike shop but they said there’s lots of woods near by. thanks

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Yes, I believe it is.

tails
    Free Member

oh man i used to live in wycombe whilst at uni, not very far and i didn’t know. i feel like i missed out. 👿

theotherjonv

yes; crowthorne is the other end of the forest to the Look Out.

On This map the Swinley / Crowthorne woods area is the vaguely triangular area bounded by the A322, the county boundary, the A3095 and a bit of the B3430. The look out is just about at the B2430/A322 junction, and the western end of the seagull run is *almost* under the A3095 (zoom in on the map and you’ll see the Devil’s highway running W-E which would take you direct to Broadmoor which is nigh on Crowthorne)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Post-ride pint near Swinley – pub recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.