Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Post mount facing
  • philjunior
    Free Member

I have a slightly spongy brake, and the pads seem misaligned with the disc (I’m getting this across 2 callipers.

Therefore I’m after a post mount facing tool to use or be used on my forks. Any suggestions in the Glasgow area? Hopefully with a quick turnaround if it’s a shop as it’s on my commuter (though no problem with waiting to put the bike in). I’ve tried Wheelcraft and Dales, both have IS but not PM facing tools.

I’ve found them online but I don’t think I can justify the cost (£200 or so) for the number of times I’m likely to use it.

I don’t really fancy just going at it with a file!

wwaswas

Use an Avid mount kit as the spherical washers will let you adjust out any issues?

Not sure if it’ll affect spacing on the pads/disk interface though.

philjunior
    Free Member

I’d thought of that wwaswas, and have them in the garage, but I think it will affect positioning. Might work if I go for a 185mm brake with 180mm mount, but I have a centrelock hub so that’ll be a whole world of faff.

Might just give it a crack and see how well it aligns.

bikeneil
    Free Member

sillyoldman

Try Carl at Bikelove?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

FFS don’t use a file. It’ll end up worse.

philjunior
    Free Member

PP, my thoughts exactly.

bikeneil
    Free Member

FFS don’t use a file. It’ll end up worse.

That all depends how good you are!

benpinnick

Do you use a 20mm adaptor for the brake? If so find yourself a set of Avid tower mounts and they will fix any alignment issues as the run a CPS above and below the caliper (but are still a 20mm mount). They also look kinda cool too.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

That’s quite an unusual fault to have . Do you mean you are getting the same problem on your frame with 2 different calipers or are you having the same problem on 2 different bikes. If it’s the latter I would get a second opinion . Sorry to ask this but you don’t mean that your pads are misaligned horizontally because you can adjust that out but I’m sure you know that .

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Ben at Bike Kinetics, Garscube Rd.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Post mount facing’ is closed to new replies.