Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Possibly Stupid No Tubes Question (Nervous about drilling rims)
  • Haze

3/8″ drill bit required for Presta.

Nearest I’ve got to this is 13/32″ – about 10.3mm compared to the 9.5mm in the instructions.

No harm in using this is there?

matthew_h
    Free Member

You do not need to drill the rims at all.

Even better

Haze

To be honest, I did wonder how necessary it was…thought I’d follow the instructions to give myself a fighting chance of success.

Cheers 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

I thought you only needed to drill them for the rubber strip?

matthew_h
    Free Member

You don’t need to drill them for the rubber rimstrips either.

Haze

I thought you only needed to drill them for the rubber strip?

Yeah, the hole for the rim strip is the one I’m asking about, seems it may not be necessary.

I’ll go ahead without drilling anything 🙂

matthew_h
    Free Member

I’ve set loads of Stan’s rims, of all varieties, up tubeless with and without the rimstrips and I have never drilled one yet.

You’ll be fine

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Why would you need a rubber rimstrip in a Stans rim, even non tubeless tyres can be seated with the yellow tape?

matthew_h
    Free Member

The rimstrips do help prevent burping with Flows and when cornering hard. The newer rims, Crests etc, don’t need them at all though.

Haze

It’s not a Stans rim?

matthew_h
    Free Member

What rim is it?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Dont know where I got that idea 😳

Haze

Dont know where I got that idea

No worries!

XC717

br
    Free Member

Just measure the drill bit against the widest part of the rim strip valve. And then only drill through the first part of the extrusion.

What rims are they?

Haze

Hole is currently 8.5mm in the rim, the strip is about the same.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Give it a try as it is and see how you get on before drilling them

Haze

Cheers Matthew, think I will.

Measuring it with the vernier suggests it should fit through, will give it a go anyway.

Ta!

matthew_h
    Free Member

I’ve used the Stans kit on a DT 5.1 and didn’t drill that so I still think it should be ok

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve drilled before on mavic rims. It causes less of a bump where the valve is so seals better. Just one skin, not both and deburr the edges.

ratherbeintobago

DT XC400s; didn’t need drilling. Aren’t XC717s drilled for Schraeder valves anyway?

Andy

Haze

Aren’t XC717s drilled for Schraeder valves anyway?

Yeah, about 8mm.

Instructions say to open them out with a 3/8″ drill bit if using Presta rim strips, or 7/16″ if using a Schrader rim strip.

It’s to clear the base of the valve on the rim strip, nothing to do with what the rim was factory drilled for…I think!

Onzadog, I’ve got the yellow tape on now so will carry on without drilling.

Cheers.

Haze

Right then, result!

Had to remove one layer of the yellow tape to get rim strip to sit under the bead. It was still touch and go but the 10mm drill bit looked too big so I left it.

Track pump was crap so had to resort to CO2, not ideal I know but it got things done. Rear was a bit stubborn but they’re both sat it the garage nice and inflated 🙂

So, what are the down sides to CO2?

ratherbeintobago

[quoteSo, what are the down sides to CO2?[/quote]

Meant to react with sealant. Having said that, I’ve had to resort to CO2 before. Next time, I’m planning to take wheels to the local garage and use the air line.

Andy

FuzzyWuzzy

I’m crap at practical stuff and even I’ve never needed CO2 or a garage pump for tubeless inflation – I’d question whether you’re doing it right or if the tyres need to spend a night inflated with tubes to get them into a better shape…

ratherbeintobago

I think it depends on the state of the rim (much easier on a brand new one) and how much soapy water you use. I’ve managed to get tyres on with a track pump on a new rim and with lots of soapy water. However, it’s much easier with higher pressure gas…

Andy

Haze

if the tyres need to spend a night inflated with tubes to get them into a better shape

Probably this, I had thought of it but wasn’t planning on doing anything with until the weekend. Then the mood took me.

Ordered a better track pump anyway, as soon as it’s here I’ll change the sealant in case it’s compromised.

In the meantime they can sit fully inflated on the rims.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Possibly Stupid No Tubes Question (Nervous about drilling rims)’ is closed to new replies.