Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Possibly silly shimano 2 x 10spd question
  • stugus
    Free Member

Trying to change my bike from 3 x 9 to a 2 x 10.I’m buying a xt chainset with 2 rings and no bash guard and require a shifter to cover these duties.
    Do shimano do a 2spd shifter for the front mech or do you just use a 3spd shifter and make some kind of adjustment using the limiter screws?

Any comments or recommendations?

stu

RDL-82
    Free Member

If you getting all the new XT 10 speed stuff then they do a double specific front mech to go with the chain set and the new shifters have a switch under the front shifter to change between 3x or 2x.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I use the normal 3 speed shifter with no adjustment what so ever on one bike and the 2x one on the other. They both work the same.

I run a bash though as chain ring gouges are a PITA

mrplow
    Free Member

Is it a funny chainline on the xt double chainset or like a normal 9sp triple granny and middle ring?

e.g. will the xt double work with a normal 3 speed front xt 9sp mech?

Mackem

1. If you have a 3 speed Crankset that’s half decent, then dont bother buying a new one. 9 Speed chainrings work with a 10 speed chain. The latest front shifters have a little switch to select 2 or 3 speed.

mrplow
    Free Member

And same question for using new xt double with a conventional 9 speed iscg 05 mount double chain guide like a gamut? Is it a funny chainline?

RDL-82
    Free Member

Chain line on the new XT double is 48.8mm versus the old one of 50mm

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Possibly silly shimano 2 x 10spd question’ is closed to new replies.