Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Possibly Ovalized Head Tube – Fixable?
  • cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

Whilst working on my brothers bike fairly recently I removed the forks in order to clean/regreased the headset.

When I did so the bottom headset cup literally fell out of the frame. It can be pushed in by hand (a headset press is not required). The frame is an aluminum one.

As far as I’m concerned this means game over for the frame & he’ll need to replace it.

Just looking for a confirmation that this is the case and/or advice on possible solutions

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Fold up a piece of paper really small and jam it in the gap, job jobbed.

nedrapier

What’s the frame material?

wwaswas

I’d just get a deeper cupped headset (fsa Pig?) and try that.

Unless there’s obvious cracks around the headtube?

Rubber_Buccaneer

I would either use a bit of stud and bearing fit or use it as an excuse for a new frame depending on whether a new frame took my fancy

Rubber_Buccaneer

Unless there’s obvious cracks around the headtube?

that’s a thought. Any sign of a crack and I’d be getting another frame

otsdr
    Free Member

Nukeproof also have some very deep lower cups on some of their headsets.

GeForceJunky

Deep cup headset, but before fitting, check how deep the frame is machined for the a headset. Also, if the headset isn’t actually rocking forward and back in the frame, it doesn’t really matter. Could use some Loctite 641 to help if stay in.

nedrapier

Sorry OP, didn’t read your post properly.

Depends how much he wants an excuse for a new frame. If much = lots => new frame.

If he really likes it, and wants to keep riding it, try loctite bearing retainer. Take your/his pick:

http://www.loctite.co.uk/retaining-9171.htm

nedrapier

How deep are your cups, CK steelset? How deep are your cups?

Though, as above, machined part of ally steerer tube may not be deep enough to accommodate.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I used a deep insertion cup successfully after I ovalised the 5spot head tube. It worked great until it went to the bike retirement village for other, unrelated reasons.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Good headset with easily standard replacable bearings

epoxy the bugger in .

That used to be the standard fiix if the steelset didnt work or the owner wasnt willing to spend the pennies on a possible solution when the epoxy solution was proven to work even in headtubes in which fitting headsets was like throwing a sausage up an alley. Turners (dhr) and yetis( dh9) always seemed to have headtube issues ime…….

TheBrick
    Free Member

Second trail_rat. If you want to get fancy mix some powdered aluminium in there as filler.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for the replies :D, certainly sounds better than I had thought.

I’ll take another look at the frame when I see him next & see which solution would work best.

I know he wants to keep the bike going so hopefully we can get it running again.

eshershore
    Free Member

Chemical metal for the win..make sure the lower cup has a removable bearing for easy replacement as that cup won’t ever come out again!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Possibly Ovalized Head Tube – Fixable?’ is closed to new replies.