Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Possibly cracked frame?
  • dooge
    Free Member

So after a lowly four lazy relatively short (14-16 mile) rides on my freshly built bike I have found what I believe to be a crack in my frame. P*ssed off is an understatement!

Bought second hand from eBay, fresh paintjob (now I know why) and its a good month out of being in the Paypal 90 day system. Now its scrap value or a fixer for someone.

What do others think?

Its this nomad, a medium mk1.

If I left it as it is would I get £200 frame only, no shock?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Certainly looks like a crack.
    Is it worth trying to talk to the seller even though it’s out of the time scale & see if they’ll help?

£200 without the shock but cracked? Optimistic I’d say sadly 🙁

xcretro
    Free Member

if its fresh paint, could just be crack in paint, only way to know is to strip area of paint back to carbon and inspect.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Strange place to crack that……strange wAy to crack 90 degrees across a weld also.

dooge
    Free Member

It is a strange place to crack. All I can think is the seller knew it was cracked, sprayed it up to cover the crack knowing full well it wouldnt show again til it was ridden by which point Paypal may say well we cant gaurantee you didnt crack it on its first ride. Maybe Im just thinking too little of someone. its not carbon but aluminum.

I actually tryed getting a refund just after I bought it, it was an impulse buy but its always been a little small and I really wanted a mk2 but they just wernt coming up for sale frame only.

mtbtom
    Free Member

I’d get it checked out, preferably at a Santa Cruz dealer. Quick search on Google Images found this Nomad.

http://forums.mtbr.com/santa-cruz/another-cracked-nomad-286287.html

dooge
    Free Member

Thanks mtbtom, Im going to contact Jungle just in case on the tiniest chance they may do something but not holding out a lot of hope!

Candodavid
    Free Member

if its fresh paint, could just be crack in paint, only way to know is to strip area of paint back to carbon and inspect.

Have a job stripping it back to carbon, it’s aluminium innit

ernie

I hate to say it, but i am 99% sure thats a crack. Based on my experience, it looks like heavy front end impact causing stress behind the head tube. Fresh paint coat would suggest the original owner did a cover up. I hope Jungle are able to help you out.

amedias
    Free Member

Looks like a reasonably good paintjob, do you know where it was done as I’d be surprised if a reputable painter didn’t spot that during stripping & prep…

Would be worth taking the paint back and checking, you’ve got nothing to lost at this point…

dooge
    Free Member

Very good point amedias, it is a good paint job and not just the usual industrial powdercoater so I will contact the seller. I have a feeling the seller is on here under a similar username.

wiggles
    Free Member

Would have to be a pretty big nob head to pay a reasonable amount on a pro respray just to cover a crack to sell it on… Unless they are a car sprayer by trade or something.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Is it paint or powder coat? If its powder coat maybe the baking has damaged the aluminium.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Strip it back to reveal what’s underneath. I thought I had a crack on my anthem frame that had no warranty etc. I stripped the paint of locally and there was no crack underneath. Got to be worth a try.

Wozza
    Free Member

I’d strip it and have a look. Then take it to an Ali welders and get some advice. DO NOT take it to a bike shop and expect an honest answer… they’ll only tell you it’s scrap and show you their new range at £2000+

This is my Intense Tracer:

I think at one point I was going to let it go for less than £200 with the shock. £20 later:

If you decide it’s not for you I could be tempted to take a gamble.

honourablegeorge

Welding job looks sound, but frankly, I think you’re taking a risk holding the swingarm on with cable ties.

teadrinker
    Free Member

I think you’re taking a risk holding the swingarm on with cable ties

😆

Wozza
    Free Member

I think you’re taking a risk holding the swingarm on with cable ties

😆

As soon as those lower link bearings go, that’s exactly what it feels like.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TBF all mfrs tell shops that alu isn’t weldable/repairable.

Also, given repairs such as above won’t have been heat treated, and I’ve not seen info on their longevity.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Think about that failing and what you risk in injury, a new frame looks the better bet. I wouldn’t risk my health on such repair I’d go for a new frame and put the experience of buying such items off eBay behind me. It’s just not worth it.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Looks like they sprayed over a pube stuck to the primer. With the rain arriving after all the sunshine we’ve had it went curly again and sprung off.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Possibly cracked frame?’ is closed to new replies.