Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • possibly buying a proper road bike – potential problems
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Righto, i currently have a Boardman hybrid that is doing road duties, its a great bike for getting around on and i can keep up with my mate when he’s on his touring/winter bike, but his carbon summer bike leaves me struggling in his wake.
    Ive been looking at the Planet X carbon road bikes but i have some potential problems..

firstly, I’m tiny. 5’2″ so maybe the women’s model but that would have too short a top tube maybe? Certainly my girlfriends bike is too cramped for me.
    My hands – i struggle with road levers as all the ones ive tried are too big, i cant control the brakes well enough to give me any confidence in stopping.
    Thirdly, i have arthritis of the thumbs and i suspect that riding on the hoods for a decent length of time could become really painful.

Am i better off sticking with flat bars and just accepting that i cant cope with drops?

Edric64
    Free Member

Would inserts like these help at all ?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

firstly, I’m tiny. 5’2″ so maybe the women’s model but that would have too short a top tube maybe? Certainly my girlfriends bike is too cramped for me.

47 or a 50cm frame would be fine for you. No worries on sizing.

My hands – i struggle with road levers as all the ones ive tried are too big, i cant control the brakes well enough to give me any confidence in stopping.

All bikes SHOULD come with shims to reduce the throw of the levers….. But the shops tend to pull them out and not supply them (I do it all the time) They should be free with the bike!

Thirdly, i have arthritis of the thumbs and i suspect that riding on the hoods for a decent length of time could become really painful.

So don’t!
    You’ve got at least 3 positions available to you. 🙂
    Although I suspect it’ll be easier than you think.
    We (Well, Trek..) sell Isozone padding to go under the bar tape too, which makes for a lovely comfy handlebar.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

They move the levers closer to the bars, but its the shape. My fingers don’t reach the lower curve of the brake lever so its difficult to gain enough braking power – try braking on the top of the curve and you’ll see my problem!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I need to ride on the hoods to change gear though

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You’re not changing gear ALL the time though.

You seem determined to argue your way out of it, to be honest! If you don’t really want a road bike, don’t get one!

Edric64
    Free Member

Would different shaped bars help ? Also sram levers adjust for reach .I dont know if they are better than Shimano

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

My fingers don’t reach the lower curve of the brake lever

Nobodys do from the hoods. That’s what the drops are for, hence the spacers.
    I know I can’t get full braking power from the hoods.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Run the brake bite point close to the bar, gives much more power and control than trying to wind them in until there’s no freeplay at all (and make wheel changes a doddle).

I find drop bars good for my hands as you can swap positions ever few minutes to alleviate any pressure. Having said that I do tend to have my hands on the hoods at least 50% of the time.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You’re not changing gear ALL the time though.

Also, your weight is on your palm, not your thumbs. It’s the same as an MTB, just rotated 90 degress, IME 🙂

LMT
    Free Member

Im a shorty and went for the Canyon Roadlite, depending on budget i got mine for £908 in xs and after a saddle, stem flipped, pedals etc and the bike rides like a dream!

Canyons top tubes are slightly shorter and i went from a hybrid to the roadie with no issues. Took 10 mins off my normal ride without really trying.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’d like a nice road bike but i don’t want to spend a grand to find out it cripples me 🙁

RustySpanner

I’ve got a 50cm Trek you could try.

It’s an old one with a horizontal top tube, but you’re more than welcome to have a go.
    Borrow it for a while if you like.

I’m 5 foot 6 ish, and it’s just big enough for me – a 52 would be better.

Edric64
    Free Member

Put those cissy cx levers on the tops ? They do work quite well

geoffj
    muddydwarf
    Free Member

That would be nice RS 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

Muddy, look at the Epic Cycles website, then look at Scott bikes, then look at the CR1, then look at the geometry page.

Compare the numbers of the XXS and XS bikes with your own hybrid, then fill yer boots.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I know i can get different shaped bars etc, I’m assuming there are sti levers for women that are smaller as well.
    its the arthritis that makes me hesitate, well that and the fact i have CMT that is progressively weakening my hands and feet which is why i love hydro disc brakes!

cheers crikey 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

STI levers are all the same size, and some people do struggle with them.

I’ve got mates who use the wedges to bring them in to the bars a bit, and they have far bigger hands than me.

The newer Shimano levers sit closer to the bars and have a slightly different pivot point which makes them easier to use, but the best way to make them better is to use new cables and change them regularly, and set them so they don’t come on immediately; have a bit of slack so you can grip the levers before braking.

Some of the new compact handlebars allow the levers to get closer to the bars too.

I think you might be over estimating the problems, and that you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Lifer
    Free Member

its the arthritis that makes me hesitate, well that and the fact i have CMT that is progressively weakening my hands and feet which is why i love hydro disc brakes!

Get something disc compatible and some of these?

TRP hydraulic calipers – STI compatible

RustySpanner

No worries matey – e-mail in profile.
    Drop us a line & we’ll arrange something. 🙂

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Potentially settled on a lovely MEKK from Wiggle, just need to shift all my reenactment gear to pay for it!

crikey
    Free Member

Oooh! I met a lady on a train with one of those! 😆

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Looking at the Sora-equipped Poggio for £989.00, lovely looking machine and a better size than the planet x job 🙂

robdob
    Free Member

There is no way on earth I would mail order a bike if I was your height. Proper fit is EVERYTHING on a road bike. I’d rather ride a Sora equipped Carrera that fitted than a Dura Ace equipped Colnago that didn’t. It’s miserable riding a road bike that doesn’t feel quite right and with specific issues I would be going for a proper fitting with someone who knows what they are doing.

crikey
    Free Member

There is no way on earth I would mail order a bike if I was your height. Proper fit is EVERYTHING on a road bike.

Oh give over you big drama queen, it’s a bicycle, not a 12 month tour of duty in the ‘Nam.

Muddy, the lady in question had a 48 frame, but if you look at the pic I sent, she had used a headset extender to raise the bars. I suspect she and you would be better on a 50 frame.

I’d go for the 105 one…

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mekk-2g-poggio-p20-105/

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I have short legs, 27″ inside legs so was leaning towards the Sora model but will contact wiggle when ive sold my armour and weapons etc to see what they recommend.

crikey
    Free Member

I’m 5′ 7-8″ and my inside leg is only a couple of inches more, I would choose a bike based on the height of the head-tube rather than the seat-tube because the seat-tube/seat post is much more adjustable than the front of the bike.

I would aim to try to get or upgrade to the 105 5700 levers with the hidden cables, not because of the cabling, but the pivot point of the levers is better than the earlier versions, and I think it improves the power of the brakes from the hoods.

I’ve put 105 levers on my bike, in place of the 10 speed Ultegra levers for this reason.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

That’s true, I’m so used to riding full suss bikes where my testicles are resting on the top tube i think all before bikes are like that!

crikey
    Free Member

The top half of your body should dictate the reach from seat to bars, and because of my short legs I always ride frames that ‘fitters’ would consider too big.

I’ve got a Trek that you could try for sizing purposes, are you out for a ride tomorrow, and would you be Saddleworth bound?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Bugger, I’m not – just done a 50 today on my Boardman hybrid!

crikey
    Free Member

No worries, give me a shout on e-mail if you need to.

glupton1976
    Free Member

See when my missus treats patients with similar conditions, she aims to get them using “normal” kit for as long as possible. The rationale for this is that to keep using the minimal amount of external aids, you need to keep using “normal” kit for as long as possible. I follow the same approach with my patients.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Glupton – i do manual work on milling machines and routers etc, lots of hand work and some power tools so i still have a relatively normal functioning range, it is painful by the end of the day though.
    I just don’t fancy having to drop a load of ibuprofen to get home!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘possibly buying a proper road bike – potential problems’ is closed to new replies.