Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Possibly a stupid cassette/freehub/dremel question.
  • nedrapier

I have a wheel with a 7 speed freehub body. I have a 9 speed shifter. I have a some spare 9 speed cassettes, which have an alloy carrier for biggest 3.

Can I cut slots in the alloy carrier so that it sits further inboard and makes room for the 11T sprocket? 8 of the 9 speeds fit fine, if a little loose.

Well, I’m going to do it anyway, aren’t I? So I’ll let you know how I get on.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Will depend on clearance to the spokes I’d have thought

oliverracing

I recently modded a 10 speed hub to fit an 11 speed road/cx 11-36 cassette – works great, I took 1.5mm off the freehub and about 1mm off the cassette to get the lock-ring to engage enough.

The large size of the cassette helped as I looked at an 11-28 for road use and there wasn’t enough room to do the same

nedrapier

Oliverr – Not surprised to see you on a bodging home engineering thread!

Had a go last night, dremel ran out of battery, thought the angle grinder would be a little heavy handed.

scaredypants

I’ve dremelled a 10sp shimano to take 11sp cassettes too, and I don’t even build my own carbon toothpicks so it must be fairly easy

I found it a bit difficult to avoid a gradual bevel at the back of the freehub just using the dremmel so I think I made a corresponding one on the cassette

I haven’t died yet AFAIK

njee20
    Free Member

7-8 is a bigger width difference than 10-11, unless there’s a lot of ‘meat’ on the back of the free hub body I reckon you’ll struggle.

nedrapier

Cheers guys, I reckon there’s 1-1.5mm to be had off the freehub body, and as much as I fancy off the alloy carrier. whatever I do is going to be better than the old skool method of bolting the 8th sprocket to the 7th!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Possibly a stupid cassette/freehub/dremel question.’ is closed to new replies.