Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Possible (very) silly question alert
  • ell_tell
    Free Member

Got a dehumidifier in the house to combat a bit of damp and condensation. Its usually located in the spare room with the bikes.

Now this is the silly bit. There’s no danger of using it in the same room is there? Its not somehow going to suck out the oil from my full sus & Fox forks on my hardtail?

In my mind I’m thinking this is a ridiculous question to ask but thought I had better double check 🙂

sam2391
    Free Member

No it will be fine, it will slow down rust on any unlubed parts if anything so will be a good thing.

druidh
    Free Member

Just make sure you use a Dry lube on the chain.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Should be ok as long as your bikes isn’t made of Carbon…

thebunk

Most bike bits rehydrate themselves when you go for a ride, so any shrinkage will be temporary…

steve_b77
    Free Member

It might suck the paint off or even the latex out of teh tyres if you’re tubeless

Junkyard
    Free Member

^^^^^ WRONG
    it will suck the water moisture out the air in your tyres…best run tubeless

Lionheart
    Free Member

I have wondered if there is any impact on the bikes. Ours are kept in the garage, part f the house which is also the drying room. They get drier much quicker and definitely don’t rust, even non-oiled chains but might it affect the seals etc… Not that I have ever noticed any thing The dehumidified has a significant impact on wood/cardboard/paper in there.

Northwind

It’s perfectly safe for bikes. But don’t use it in the bedroom or you’ll end up like my neighbour:

nickjb
    Free Member

There might be some possble harm. Electric motors (which I presume this has) produce ozone and this will cause rubber to deteriorate. I don’t know whether it is enough to make any difference but I have always been advised not to store any diving equipment in a room with a motor.

EDIT might only be DC motors according to wiki: Storing rubber products in close proximity to DC electric motors can accelerate the rate at which ozone cracking occurs source

andrewh
    Free Member

I have always been advised not to store any diving equipment in a room with a motor.

😯 Pics of your motorised room please!

rugbydick

or you’ll end up like my neighbour:

Why did your neighbour have a dog lead on when they died?

allthegear
    Free Member

Tory MP?

alexpalacefan
    ell_tell
    Free Member

Good news. Sounds as though I wont prematurely dry out my rp3 then 😉

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Well, I live in Colorado, where Humidity rarely gets above 10%. I doubt your dehumidifier is going to get that dry, even if its really strong.

And my bikes haven’t shriveled up and desiccated yet….

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Possible (very) silly question alert’ is closed to new replies.