Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Possible to be competitive single speed?
  • mikehopkins
    Free Member

Is it possible to be competitive on single speeds? I don’t really want to compete with hipsters either.
    Specifically road bikes. If so, that common question what ratio? 700c tires 170mm crank arms.
    Freewheel not fixed.

Thanks!

miketually
    Free Member

Time trial or road race? What level?

tomhoward

Sure, if you’re competing against others on singlespeeds…

DrP

I’ve got ‘gold’ times in a fair few sportives, and for a few years running (I hate saying this – yes, it’s for charity and was full of asthmatics… but someone has to come first. Plus, the rest of the ‘top guys’ were in team kit etc etc) I’ve been fastest on the “asthma UK beach to beach” – 140 miles over 2 days…
    All on a shonky, gas pipe, fixed gear 46:17 POS!!

So to answer your question, yes, but only if ur radz….

DrP

mikehopkins
    Free Member

Sure, if you’re competing against others on singlespeeds…

Ideally against folk who use gears…

Time trial or road race? What level?

Amateur to serious amateur, that kind of level. I’m just wondering how much you can compensate with fitness for the lack of gears…
    DrP, 46:17 can you go up hills at a pace?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Have you seen the front end of a singlespeed race? They are pretty bloody rapid.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP – in a road race?

No chance.

brakes
    Free Member

you’d pick a gear for the course.

mikehopkins
    Free Member

OP – in a road race?

No chance.

Damn…to be honest I was expecting a no, but I remained hopeful…
    Is it worth getting a geared bike or shall I just go for the nice cheap and simple langster?

cynic-al
    Free Member

brakes have you ever road raced?

brakes
    Free Member

don’t get me wrong al, I’m not saying you would be competitive in a road race – I agree with you.
    what I’m saying is if you were to race or try to compete, your gear would be specific to the course you’re riding.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I led SSUK until I punctured in 2008.

Conclusion- no,singlespeeds are not competitive.

The reality of the situation is that someone will always be quicker on a geared bike than a singlespeed. Always. Such is the nature of a singlespeed, especially on a road bike. Yes, there are fast people who will win events on singlespeeds, but they’d always go quicker on a geared bike and if they have won it’s unlikely the field was that strong.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP if you are going to race, a ss is a waste of money (unless for training).

hels
    Free Member

I recall an Scottish XC race a few years ago – Badguish perhaps ? Anyway the race order was such that the ladies would sometimes get lapped by the leading Master men. Gary Macrae came past me seeming unusually flustered in his normal leading position. Right after him another guy with the biggest calf to person ration I have ever seen on a living human being.

So yes, that guy was quite competitive. Chat in the paddock later was that he was some Austrian professional 24 hour dude. And yes, he did have a beard, not sure if that helped or hindered.

hels
    Free Member

(that is, he raced the 24 hour events, not that he was a dude all the time)

mikehopkins
    Free Member

Al, its’ main use is training and commuting. I was thinking about racing as enjoyable thing that I could do also but I wanted to try to be competitive too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Actually I think there’s a more level playing field in xc events and I’ve raced SS in them.

But the OP is talking about road.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP even for training I’d say ss is not clever as your sole road bike.

hels
    Free Member

Best way to find out is to get in touch with your local road club and ask to join one of their newbie training rides. They will point out in great detail any riding/bike faults you may possess. They live for that kind of thing. But it is helpful, there is a lot of knowledge and etiquette involved in road racing, not to mention handling skills and common sense.

Rorschach
    Free Member

racing as enjoyable thing that I could do

😆 if you’re enjoying it you’re doing it wrong.

munrobiker
    Free Member

As Al says, riding SS makes you fast at riding SS. It isn’t generally a particularly good aid for riding a geared bike as fast as you could.

mikehopkins
    Free Member

Would an Allez be a better option then?
    Just that with a Langster it seems like you get more bike for your’ money.

Tom-B
    Free Member

No you won’t be competitive. Gears are quicker.

sofatester
    Free Member

Is it possible to be competitive on single speeds?

Road race – No way.

Time Trial – Maybe.

aa
    Free Member

no. That is the answer. You can be quick but a rider with the same strength will be faster with gears. Testing on a fixed isnt a problem but in road racing there’s lots of pace changing which youd struggle to match on a fixed wheel.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Allez’s are a sweet bike, and probably the best for racing on that sort of a budget. I’d look 2nd hand though.

charliedontsurf

I have four gold medals, four MTB race wins… two of those where in open races against geared chaps.

On the road you really wont stand a chance.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Possible to be competitive single speed?’ is closed to new replies.