Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Possible New TV – Assistance required
  • topangarider
    Free Member

Have been gifted some money for a new TV (not in the cycling budget I’m afraid, so don’t start on that), so been looking around.

Like the look of the Samsung UE40D6530, and it gets good reviews. Boss has one and it does look tidy.

But – should I pay so much more for 3D capability and the Smart TV (web browser, iplayer et etc) functionality? Will I actually use the TV to browse the web, or just use the PC? We can get Iplayer through the kids Wii anyway too.

Any thoughts?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

3D TV – ****
    Smart TV – Seems like a good idea

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

For me – I wouldn’t use a TV for browsing as I tend to do it when the TV is being watched by someone else in the house. (But of course it is useful for iPlayer).

Thinking forward – 3D capability is the way things are going but it is still early days yet so you pay a premium for something you won’t get to use much and when programmes are more widely available, the technology will be much better anyway. I would hold fire on that personally.

topangarider
    Free Member

hmmmmmmm, tbh, not seen much 3D content and also not overly concerned about getting it. However, I do like the thought of the smart TV and skype’ing my bro is Aus through the TV.

stevehine

What’s the budget ? I’d almost certainly go for a panasonic plasma; best picture quality you can buy imho

something like this…
    panasonic plasma linky

gonefishin
    Free Member

I’m seriously considering a Smart TV as it would add a load of functionality such as iPlayer, streaming movies from the home server, skype, without the need for another box. Granted I can do most of those things now but with a new TV I could declutter the lounge and move the exisiting TV to another room to act as a gaming screen/2nd TV.

Can’t see the point in the 3D, but i’d be surprised if you were actually able to get a smart TV that wasn’t 3D ready.

toby1

Check the refresh rate too though, Panasonic E30 range, 200hz, which is nice, but the 3D model has a 400hz rate, which is significantly faster.

Not sure how much theis helps smooth the motion problems I have seen on all LCD/LED panels so far though, hence I’m still rocking a low def CRT 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Got a Panasonic plasma a while ago and it’s great.
    To be honest the only web stuff I’ve ever used on it is Youtube and Picassa – both v good to get on the telly.
    Picture quality on HD & DVDs is superb.
    (Didn’t bother with 3D)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Possible New TV – Assistance required’ is closed to new replies.