Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Possible dodgy bike Red Specialized (Glasgow)
  • Merak

Im loathe to post this but whilst I was walking back from the paper shop this morning I saw a lad maybe 18 on a red Specialized looked like an Epic or similar. As he rolled by I thought it was a bit out of place or rather he was a bit out of place riding it. I didnt get a good look at it the only distinguishing thing I saw was the saddle. It had what looked like a Bel air anyway it looked pretty trick and reasonably new. Like I say this is horribly judgemental…

I dont mean to be cynical but if there is any chance that it belongs to someone other than the boy that was riding it. I just feel I should mention it otherwise itd bother me.

This was in the East end of Glasgow, not the most salubrious area.

althepal

Whereabouts mate- just so I can keep an eye out?

headfirst
    Free Member

this is horribly judgemental…

You’re in the right place! 😀

Merak

I saw the bike on Onslow drive. This post was more about seeing if someone was missing a bike, not so much a lynch mob. 🙂

glupton1976
    Free Member

So let me get this straight – someone of student age was riding a nice bike round studentville and the time a student mtb club would meet up for a sunday ride and that’s dodgy? Fair enough.

Merak

I live in the East end. With respect you didnt see the boy, he wasnt a student.

Just thought Id mention it. I have a feeling it wasnt his bike thats all.

I wanted to post it here on the off chance.

I know Id like to be reunited with my bike if it went missing.

glupton1976
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVN_0qvuhhw[/video] 😉

smell_it
    Free Member

With respect i think we should give everyone looking or acting dodgy around expensive bikes the benefit of the doubt. I don’t want to live in a hate filled judgmental society, and i would like to get in on that bike stealing action.

boristhespie
    Free Member

I’m sure you’ll feel the same as your bike rides off into the sunset as indifferent passers by look on.

don’t worry, you are just being cautious and in no way being “hateful”

don’t know what it is online with the need to call everyone “haters”. it’s so silly and simplistic.

would rather be stropped by cops once in a while than not. at least itnwould let me know they cared about bike theft. sure many others would feel the same.

there is no harm in your post. at least you care.

Merak

Cheers Boris I appreciate you saying that.

I was well aware of attracting the less constructive and sanctimonious comments but figured it was worth raising, especially if I had my Specialized taken from me and happened to be reading this board.

Merak

glupton1976 – Member

So let me get this straight – someone of student age was riding a nice bike round studentville and the time a student mtb club would meet up for a sunday ride and that’s dodgy? Fair enough.

Okay Ill take the bait.

I dont know if you live in the East end, ‘studentville’ its not. The boy was about 18 dressed in a tracksuit and trainers. He wasnt heading along for a trailbuilding soiree. Furthermore he was rolling on a circa £2k bike, and whilst I am being judgemental, having grown up in Glasgow I know a ned when I see one especially when he’s rolloing along on a £2k shiny Specialized xc full bouncer.

Please take this post as it was intended, in the hope that perhaps the owner of this bike wasnt the wee bampot riding along on it but someone who had worked hard to get it and was now missing it.

smell_it
    Free Member

Hells bells boristhespie, if the rest of the general public are as sharp as you, my fictional career in bike theft will be easier than i thought 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

East end – studentville lol!

glupton1976
    Free Member

Naebeer in the fridge – yes – Dennistoun = Studentville. As in a stones throw from Strathclyde and Caley universities and where most of my classmates at university live. Where I lived for a couple of years as a student and where most of my friends from my previous time at university in Glasgow lived.

I spend most of my time in a tracksuit, my classmates spend most of their time in tracksuits, lots of students spend most of their time in tracksuits as it’s needed for either their course or their work which is in sports.

BoardinBob

I’d wager the junkies and neds outnumber the students by at least 10 to 1

Dennistoun’s a hole

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Think 10 to 1 is a bit generous bb!. This thread is useless without pics of geo in a trackie!.

smell_it
    Free Member

I spend most of my time in a tracksuit, my classmates spend most of their time in tracksuits

When in Rome…..

glupton1976
    Free Member

Also – what self respecting ned or junkie would be out of their pit on a sunday morning?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

One that’s on his way home….

glupton1976
    Free Member

You’ve not really thought that one through.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Neds and junkies generally have no respect for the clock. And self respect is not high on their agenda, either.

iain1775
    Free Member

So the bike may or may not have been stolen
    With no description of the yoof, and being unsure even of the model of bike other than make, colour and bizarrely exact details of its saddle what where you hoping to achieve by posting it here?
    You can’t presumably give further details, you don’t know where they came from or where they went so if it is stolen, and if the owner reads this all you can confirm is that someone wearing a track suit was riding it
    Great detective work

Merak

Hi Iain, thanks for your response thats great.I take it from the tone of your message thats its no your bike? Im happy to provide further info. If you’d like to discuss this further I’m happy to speak to you about it.

Best regards

inkster
    Free Member

The OP has obviously thought about this a fair bit before posting and was probably acting on a very strong gut feeling, so give him a break ffs.

I posted similar a while back when I saw a spesh enduro with fox 36’s etc being ridden around my way [central manc] by what I believe I described as a 14 year old ‘Vicky Pollard’ I couldn’t say it was stolen for sure but…

I saw the same bike a few times the next week by various persons, ‘freeriding’ to the corner shop etc. and as I said before, I couldn’t be sure it was nicked, maybe only 99.9% sure. That was my gut feeling anyhow.

I guess I was thinking of the potential ‘real’ owner of the bike and that they may be reading STW to try and track it down.

althepal

That bit of Denniston isn’t too bad- Onslow is one of the “Drives” apparently- my mrs grew up there and I lived just round the corner in Whitehill St for a bit. Admittedly there are some shitholes just south of Duke St and just north of the Parade..
    Some lovely big tenements round there and yes, a lot of students too, ESP since they chucked up all the new flats..
    But if you’ve lived, or sometimes even walked through the area at all, you’d prob be able to differenciate between a student and a ned fairly easily.. Growing up in the east end I reckon I could quite easily.. Not sure about a student who may have already been a ned but there’s exceptions to every rule eh?
    The OP was concerned enough to post up here- fair enough I say.. Someone on here might know the bike or if it was stolen.
    Edit- any more spec info apart from saddle? Forks? An older epic poss?

althepal

Sorry- Dennistoun!

firestarter
    Free Member

I wonder if I’ve ever popped up on threads like this riding round my rough estate and nipping to shops with tattoos and shaved head on a turner 😉

althepal

I used to ride my s-works enduro through Dennistoun- no visible tattoos though!

officialtob
    Free Member

Well done OP for posting this.

Ignore the tools – I wonder why some people even go to the effort of posting anything at all sometimes.

bedmaker

glupton1976 – Member
    My father inlaw was found seriously injured on the A38 near Thornbury between Bristol and Gloucester at 8am on Saturday morning and is in a critical condition with a serious head injury. How he came to be injured is as yet unknown, but he was found in the middle of the road with his bike on top of him. Police are still trying to piece together what happened, so on the very remote off chance that one of you was around that area on Saturday morning and saw anything can you please either get in touch with me or contact the relevant police station.

Thanks,
    George.

Mods – can you please sticky this for a wee while. There will be no nonsense from me and I’ll not use this log in for anything else.

Apart from niggly trolling obviously 😕

FuzzyWuzzy

There’s obviously out of place bikes being ridden around and many stolen bikes have been recovered after such sightings. Only a complete dick would moan about stereotyping crap in relation to this. The OP isn’t suggesting getting a van of lads together to retrieve the bike, just flagging it up in case someone knows of a stolen bike fitting that description. Granted these forums would be a mess if everyone started doing the same, ideally needs more sites like the stolen Bristol bikes one but they anything is better than nothing for now.

glupton1976
    Free Member

OK – I have a classmate, a good mate who rides a red spesh epic and lives in that part of town. He was out on his way to work with a football team yesterday morning – wearing a tracksuit.

He used to live in Drumchapel – it’s where he was brought up. But he worked hard, got straight As all the way through school and has so far got the highest marks in each year of our course so far. He is set for a career in elite sports physio – he has his job sorted already. He spends his time in a tracksuit because his life is all about sport.

bedmaker – out of order. I’ve reported your post as being more than a little bit antagonistic.

Merak

😉

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Possible dodgy bike Red Specialized (Glasgow)’ is closed to new replies.