Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Possible crash for cash scam
  • hilldodger
    Free Member

Yes yes, well done, have a biscuit.

better than a ticket 😛

DezB
    Free Member

it means you missed the joke…

Not the first time 🙂

LHS
    Free Member

Someone swerves in front of you and jams on when you’re in the middle of an overtake, you’d really need your wits about you.

I was fortunate enough that there was no other traffic around so didn’t have to think twice about swerving, however I was driving a friends S-Class Merc at the time and for such a big car I was surprised at how well it responded to jamming on the brakes and swerving at the same time. I am sure the electronics had a lot to do with it.

Edukator
    Free Member

The police don’t do speed checks on the line of a limit, starting their measurement well within the limit in order to comply with the following guideline (which has been updated but remains much the same)

A speed limit starts or ends at the exact point on a road indicated by the relevant signs. There is no legal bar to the enforcement of a speed limit from that exact point. There are however operational constraints dependent on the device used. ACPO will not specify a minimum distance from the start or end of a speed limit from which enforcement can place. Enforcement may only take place where the operator is absolutely positive, and a court may subsequently be certain, the whole of the measurement of the speed took place within the speed limit. If there is any chance, whatsoever, that any of the measurement took place, or could have taken place, outside of the speed limit then that measurement will be disregarded.

D0NK

Honestly I do think I’m above average, because the average seems to be really low

I know it’s living up the the 80% joke thing but this is it, having read what people get away with in court because their piss poor driving at the time was deemed to be “acceptable” by the jury and just seeing the bellendery on the roads, it’s hard not to form the opinion that the “average” driving standard in UK is atrocious.

(looking at it more closely and I guess you see the flaws, juries don’t like to convict people like them, stuff I’ve seen is just anecdotal, confirmation bias etc etc, still easy to get that impression tho)

Cougar

The police don’t do speed checks on the line of a limit, starting their measurement well within the limit in order to comply with the following guideline (which has been updated but remains much the same)

“Don’t” and “shouldn’t” are not the same thing.

Sounds like I should’ve challenged it. Ho hum, bit late now.

globalti
    Free Member

The standard of driving is much worse than anybody can ever imagine; most drivers haven’t got a scoobies how to operate their vehicles properly or how to drive safely and efficiently. In the USA it’s even worse.

Edukator
    Free Member

I must be one of the lousy drivers. I find the way the vast majority of my fellow road users behave is just fine. Meeting a motoring yob is a once a month or once every few months event.

butcher

Don’t be so obtuse…in the first clip, the driver leaves enough space to come to a complete standstill on the outside lane of a dual carridgeway. He’s then hit from behind by another car, forcing him into the car in front.

But so close that he has to brake at the same rate as the car in front, forcing the exact same situation on the car behind.

The whole point of leaving plenty of space is not to give yourself JUST enough time to stop. But time to think, make an educated decision, and circumvent any dangers with as little risk as possible.

I do agree that anyone could be caught out by it. But I bet instances of crash for cash scams would decrease by about 99% if people just drove properly. Driving like that is just making it easy for them.

Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Possible crash for cash scam’ is closed to new replies.