Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • possible cause of creakiness
  • jimbobrighton
    Free Member

when I put power through my cranksI get a creaking noise, usually starts after about 3 miles of riding. VERY irritating, and now quite loud. can't figure out where it's coming from though.

What should I be oiling/greasing/remving/cleaning?

HT2 LX cranks and BB. XT cassette, Pro2 wheels (recently serviced freebhub and new bearings, QR), M520 pedals, Whyte901 frame.

Help me before I go mad!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Oh dear – Needle in a haysatck time….. 😉 Try every thing that is a join or a moving part IME 🙂

Pook

yup. I've got this. Tightened the cranks and that helped but it returns pretty soon; i think as they loosen

psychle
    Free Member

chainring bolts?

eshershore
    Free Member

definitely check your chainring bolts – try removing, cleaning, greasing and reinstalling, all with equal torque

highclimber
    Free Member

your seat?

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

pedals

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Knees.

MadBillMcMad

knees

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

knees – not too far from the truth to be honest!

chainring bolts – didn't think of that one – spanner time for lunch today!

wwaswas

if it wasn't ride time related then I'd suggest something like cables rubbing on a tube/in a guide somewhere or seatpost.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Possibly chainrind bolts. I recently fitted Ultegra cranks to my road bike and had major squeakage, took the chainring bolts off and they had been fitted 'dry'. Careful removing them though as they are made of very, very soft alloy.

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

worn bottom bracket?

nath
    Free Member

Quick releases?

I thought i'd ruined another bottom bracket, but turned out was actually the QR's. with the creak transmitting down the tubes! Worth a try. Apparently Hopes are known for it.

Tiny bit of grease fixed it for me.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

nath – Member
    Quick releases?

I thought i'd ruined another bottom bracket, but turned out was actually the QR's. with the creak transmitting down the tubes! Worth a try. Apparently Hopes are known for it.

Tiny bit of grease fixed it for me.

bingo! I now have a stealth bike again. (apart from the hope freehub)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘possible cause of creakiness’ is closed to new replies.