Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Posh accents
  • redmex
    Free Member

5 live on just now and Blofeld cricket guy is on where do you learn to speak like that, then there was Brian Sewell and now the William Hanson chap on Steve Wright
    Do the USA, Aussies or any other English speaking countries have posh accents too

SaxonRider

Definitely not Canada. In Québec, there are clear class distinctions made when one is speaking French, but when it comes to English and the rest of Canada, not really at all.

mefty
    Free Member

In the case of Blofeld, Norfolk.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

It’s partly generational. It’s not just the accent but the words used, lack of slang, etc

I heard an old interview of Arnold Palmer on the radio earlier. He sounded ‘posher’ (or perhaps just different) to modern Americans. And he wasn’t from an ‘elite’ background

frankconway

Don’t forget Blowers’ time at Eton which would have accentuated whatever accent he had on arrival plus the opportunity to pick up various verbal flourishes.
    Any way, I like him – on radio; no idea what he’s like as a person.
    Here’s hoping for 5 compelling days at Lords so we can get maximum enjoyment from him.

Northwind

Where did you get that accent?
    Eton, old sausage
    Well if I were you, I’d stop eating old sausage

ericemel
    Free Member

Most languages do not have a posh accent, normally defined by a preferential regional accent (ie Shanghai in China).

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

We had a dinner party the other evening when a woman said she had a ‘posh Australian accent’. Oh, how we laughed!

P-Jay
    Free Member

I think the Brit ‘Posh’ accent is actually a regional accent from the ‘Home Counties’ partly because a lot of posh people live there and partly because when people want to talk posh they copy them.

If we’ve got a non-regional accent it’s the ‘Army Accent’.

There’s a Posh Aussie accent, or at least people who live in the Rocks in Sydney talk funny anyway, it’s a butchered thing, half Posh Brit half Aussie.

The Yanks have regional accents of course, but when they want to sound posh they tend try do do anyway with it, it’s sort of North East Coast without the chewy New Yorker bits, Washington DC maybe? They all use it in ‘House of Cards’.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’m well up for a purge on anyone with a westend/newton mearns accent.

imnotverygood

I think the Brit ‘Posh’ accent is actually a regional accent from the ‘Home Counties’ partly because a lot of posh people live there and partly because when people want to talk posh they copy them.

Part of it is affectation. Brian Sewell went to my school & I can safely say almost nobody there spoke with that accent.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Upper Received Pronunciation

pahr shahr

tazzymtb

its not really a posh accent, it’s just RP, which although seemingly the same over generations has changed just as much as bog standard commoners speak n that.

it’s only been around since the 1870s and only really formally since the 1920’s. the whole purpose is to have a standard spoken English where regional accents or phrases are removed.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Apparently I’m posh and I went to a comp. in Essex. I say that, I did decide to lose my Sarfend accent as a kid because – well – it sounded bloody horrible.

maccruiskeen

If we’ve got a non-regional accent it’s the ‘Army Accent’.

Estuary English is probably bigger than a region now

Theres a sort of ‘University Accent’ too – probably the same sort of thing as an Army one – moving from home young into an environment where everyone has a different accent eveyrones accents tend to soften and merge a bit

I’m well up for a purge on anyone with a westend/newton mearns accent.

could be worse 😆

binners

Come the glorious revolution there will be a simple test…

say ‘bath’

If an ‘r’ even makes a hint of an appearance in there then you’re up against the wall

tazzymtb

If an ‘r’ even makes a hint of an appearance in there then you’re up against the wall

well thats me ****, still I’d rather face a firing squad than sound like some northern git or a **** from TOWIE 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m well up for a purge on anyone with a westend/newton mearns Nasal Weegie Ned accent.

FTFY. 😆

Edit – that’s brilliant Macruiskeen!

wwaswas

If you hear rich Americans from the 1930’s they all sounded like Alistair Cooke – I think accents in the US have changed over time too.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’m well up for a purge on anyone with a Nasal Weegie Ned accent.

ourmaninthenorth

say ‘bath’

When she was three, may daughter was in the tub having her nightly wash. She looked up at me and said:

“Daddy, why do you say “baath” and I say “bath”?”

“That’s easy,” I replied. “It’s because you’re a Northerner.”

nickc

RP is just another regional accent slowly disappearing. Soon we’ll be like the Canadians* or Aussies, that have no real varying accent at all

*apart from the French ones obvs…

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m well up for a purge on anyone with a westend/newton mearns accent

I was brought up in the west end, given it’s diverse population I’m not sure what a west end accent sounds like.

No idea what a newton mearns accent sounds like, its a pretty normal suburb, hardly ‘posh’ unless you’re frightfully lower class with a chip on your shoulder 🙂

mechanicaldope

When she was three, may daughter was in the tub having her nightly wash

Nightly?! You must be posh.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Perchy, come on, what is it?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Whit’s whit?

fasthaggis

Gonnay no dae that,jist gonnay no.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Whit’s whit?

The failed image up there^

wwaswas

The BBC have a Pidgin English service, I found out yesterday.

Possibly the best news service I’ve seen to date.

https://www.bbc.com/pidgin

Window poo woman’s story;

Woman wey take her hand, pack her poo-poo comot di toilet of man wey she dey friend because ”e no gree flush” enter trouble, after she go try collect di poo-poo back.

The woman wey dey learn gymnastics, just start to waka with Bristol student, Liam Smith, for di first time, when she take fear troway di poo-poo comot for window.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Gonnay no dae that,jist gonnay no

THere’s an ice cream parlour in Coatbridge called …

Coney no dae that.

perchypanther
    Free Member

The failed image up there^

???

Looks alright from my end?

wwaswas

alright but incomprehensible.

perchypanther
    Free Member

incomprehensible.

Naw, it isnae. 😉

[video]https://youtu.be/VJQGw4HmfCs[/video]

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Must not be making it through the work proxy.

wwaswas

Naw, it isnae

It jolly well is, old chap.

maccruiskeen

Nightly?! You must be posh.

Only if you get out the bath for a wee

wwaswas

Only if you get out the bath for a wee

or, in the case of my daughter when she was very young, and on a regular basis, a poo.

You’d be scooping bubble bathed water over her head to wash her hair and suddenly a brown torpedo would appear in the scoop.

DezB
    Free Member

say ‘bath’

Wrong there mate! Bath has a definite R sound and a F at the end for us Leigh Parkers. 8)

maccruiskeen

say ‘bath’

The city of Bath is going to be a ghost town

pondo

Where did you get that accent?
    Eton, old sausage
    Well if I were you, I’d stop eating old sausage

Aaa, good old Spike. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Posh accents’ is closed to new replies.