Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • posh 9-speed cassettes – which one?
  • wl
    Free Member

Anyone know if there’s a discernible difference between a 9-speed Sram PG990 and an XT cassette, apart from cost? Ta.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I run one of each on 2 bikes. No discernable difference IMO. The SRAM redwins are on special at CRC at the mo, possibly cheaper that XT as a result. I’m stocking up for the spring rebuild now!

wl
    Free Member

Cheers Jeff. Spotted that deal already. They’re both available for the same price, but the Sram is reduced by a lot more, which made me wonder if it’s a significantly nicer bit of kit. I currently run redwins on both my bikes and they’re good, but the XT is slightly lighter I think, and I need to shed some weight from both bikes. Thinking of defecting to XT.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I haven’t noticed a discernable difference, I tried XT for a while and really rated it but replacements have gotten so expensive, at least 50% dearer so I defected to SLX. When my last SLX wore out I bought a PG990 which does the job equally well, but with a splash of gold in the spider.

I had been warned about using SLX cassettes with my Pro II freehubs but I’ve not had any issues at all. You can make your SLX cassette nice and light by reusing an XT lockring.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

same here, I use SLX or bling PG990 if I can find a deal (had also spotted CRC deal but no requirement at the mo). All work together fine with my Shimano other stuff (Mechs, chainrings, cranks)

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Nice price on the link…whats the postage charge ?

mboy
    Free Member

SLX are fine on alloy cassette bodies, it’s Deore or below that cause issues.

XT cassettes are lighter (by about 2 whole grammes!) and harder wearing than SRAM PG990’s. The SRAM may look pimper with its coloured spider, but I’d buy Shimano every time.

In fact, as someone has stated above, when it comes to 10spd the only real difference between an SLX and XT cassette is the alloy lockring on the XT, so makes sense to buy SLX when you need to replace and just reuse the XT lockring.

joolsburger
    Free Member

A fiver, 3 day delivery in my experience and you get a free mug!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘posh 9-speed cassettes – which one?’ is closed to new replies.