• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Porter Clough more changes
  • Pook

how do all sheffielders

There making more changes to that concrete section they’ve just put in near Forge Dam, answering calls from the hallam horse group.
    Where the wooden gate is (at the bottom, not next to the road at the top), they are putting a horse gate in, which I think is two of those old railway sleepers about 4′ apart, and then brick dust up the left.
    Now I’m fine about the brick dust as the concrete can’t be pleasant for the nags to walk up, but the gate thing will just be annoying it’s right at the bottom of the hill and you’ll have to dismount.
    Any opinions?

AndyPaice
    Free Member

ask ’em to put a see saw over the fence 😉

I did think when I saw the concrete that horses would not get on with it

robidoo
    Free Member

Jump em!

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

If they’re putting in only a horse stile, without any other form of gate next to it, then there could well be a case of them breaching their duties the Disability Discrimination Act – the structure described would not be passable to wheelchair users.

Snotty letter to the local ROW officer.

Pieface

Ride through the park

Seriusly though, don’t they normally put bike ‘gates’ nect to these things, you know those kinky things that you can get through by twisting your shoulders?

steveh

That’s the gate that’s always open then. I’m not sure they’d be allowed to block the bridleway like that (maybe so as it’s discresionary) but it would be a right pain and would as pieface suggests result in lots of people riding through the park.

sq225917
    Free Member

If you can’t ride to the top of Clough Lane in your middle ring you haven’t earned the right to whinge.

Pook

erm, thanks for that SQ, I can, however, with two hulking great railway sleepers on the track next to Forge Dam, which is what we actually talking about, you’re gonna have to be lifting your bike over.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

If you can’t ride to the top of Clough Lane in your middle ring you haven’t earned the right to whinge.

Why’s that?

Pook

Apparently it’s going to be replaced with a horse “hop” and a k frame. Whatever that is.

andyxxx
    Free Member

That concrete section is a real eye sore – typical of Sheffield council. They let the old stone cobbles become dislodged because of zero maintenance and then do a bodge job with concrete. The rest of that bridleway and many other paths around Sheffield are getting ruined by the Council levelling them out with crushed brick/concrete hardcore.

As far as altering the entrance at the bottom of the concrete – can’t see the need, but they obviously want to waste a bit more money and their council workers will enjoy another few weeks in beautiful surroundings doing a few hours work.

From a biking perspective – can’t see it makes much difference. There is a gate at the other end of the straight run (which granted is often left open) which you need to dismount for also.

Pook

It’s not the gate that would be the thing that you’d dismount for, it’s the railway sleepers as a horse hop that would be annoying, but they’re putting a K frame (one of those things you can fit the handlebars through) in anyway so it’s ok.

bowglie

AFAIK, the purpose of ‘horse hop’ things are to prevent access by motorcross bikes – There have been a few k***heads occasionally messing around Totley & Blacka Moor BW’s and f’paths on them, but dunno if they’ve been having any problems around Porter Clough aswell.

steveh

The later parts of porter clough are a byway so moto access is allowed.

I spoke to the guys today as well, I reckon that having to essentially stop for the new k frame squeeze point will get interesting when the concrete is a bit older and covered in crap. Not to mention that neither of the options easily allow prams etc through.

They’re taking about half the concrete back up as well as the horse riders don’t like it.

bowglie

Sheffield City Council…they certainly know how to waste money eh?!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

bowglie – Member
    Sheffield City Council…they certainly know how to waste money eh?!

They’ve gotta spend that £440m for road repairs somewhere!!!

porterclough
    Free Member

Now they’ve put “advisory” 10mph signs on Clough Lane (i.e., the steep bit that used to be rocky but is now sandy) – sign (laminated A4 posted to a tree) says it’s because of the jumps, sorry, drainage humps.

I noticed this as I slogged up at 3mph yesterday but strangely managed to forget as I came down a couple of hours later as I was too busy drifting the back wheel around the corners to get some erosion going (some nice ruts starting to form, keep it up people).

Sheff council really are dullards of the finest quality.

Pook

yup – spotted those the other day. They were a bit blurry though as I jumped past and didn’t want to stop too harshly to read them, and damage the newly laid surface with my rad skidz.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Porter Clough more changes’ is closed to new replies.