Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Portable "real" food for longer rides.
  • alanf
    Free Member

Recently we’ve been consuming left over parkin on rides. So much so that we’ve had to make more and it’s not even anywhere near bonfire night!
    Loads of sugar/treacle/golden syrup for an instant hit and the oats give some sustained energy release, a bit like flapjack I suppose but with gingery goodness.
    Also – egg sarnies, cheese and onion sarnies, pork pies etc etc etc.
    My best plan is to get a load of snap down my neck before I go so I don’t have to carry as much on the ride though.
    I stick a gel or energy bar in for back-up but invariably return with it still intact.

richardthird

Recently ditched the hallowed malt loaf. It melts and sticks to everything 🙁

kbomb
    Free Member

Some sandwiches and a bag of salted cashew nuts (as long as you have access to water) works well for me, gels for emergencies only.

boxelder

Tortillas and tinned/smoked mackeral or tuna.
    For really nice sporty food:

Nutty, moist, fruity and slightly salty.

mav12
    Free Member

ez energy bars are ok natural ingredients and quite cheap i get them from discount supplements

kimbers

john west and princes do foil containers of tuna pasta olives and stuff, come with their own sfork

I used them when I did london to brighton

in the words of crocodile dundee………

Zoolander
    Free Member

+1 for Cornish Pasty
    I refer to them as ‘performance pasties’

Also cold (from night before’s order) performance pizza. Both delicious and easily packed into the camelback

TiRed

Cold tuna risotto balls wrapped in film. Much prefer rice to pasta and this seems to hit the spot for me. Add marmite to the stock for more savoury taste. Delete tuna as needed. Keep the cheese for binding.

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

Tell me you’ve never passed a pub ? Pint burger salty chips and go !

scrumfled
    Free Member

Cheers chaps, lots of different opinions 😉

dexa

Wholemeal pitta bread filled with chiken- tika fillets, lime pickle, watercress and radishes. I use this winter and summer, more lime pickle in the winter months !! 9 bars as a back up, peanut variety are the best. Hope this helps.

BillOddie

On the go:
    Clif Bars
    Tortilla wraps with PB or Nutella in them
    Beef Jerky
    Chilli Rice Crackers
    Cheese Strings
    Tangfastics
    Jelly Babies
    Proper break:
    Anything from the Savouries section of a Petrol Station (ie Ginsters)

chum3
    Free Member

Peanut butter and banana and [s]sandwich.[/s]
    Nutella and marmalade sandwich.

FTFY

marthall
    Free Member

wrapped in a small pack ready!

djtom
    Free Member

Ah, this is fresh in my mind as I’m just back from the European Adventure Racing finals, which was a 72hr non stop race including lots of biking as well as running and kayaking. I was fuelled on a variety of the following, with the aim of ingesting 250 calories per hour, heavy on carbohydrate. It was a mix of sweet and savoury stuff, as you can’t survive on just sugary crap for that long, you start getting mouth ulcers and stomach issues.

Clif Bars (lots of)
    Peanut M&Ms
    Clif Builder Bars (protein)
    Clif Shot Blocks
    Ham and cheese tortilla wraps
    Clif caffeine gels (double espresso ones are rocket fuel!)
    Cashew and peanut mix
    mini babybels
    pepperami
    jelly babies
    flapjack
    mini pork pies
    nutrigrain breakfast bars
    Rego recovery drink (powder mix)
    Nurishment drink
    A couple of dehydrated meals, eaten in transition.

Admittedly I’m now completely fed up of all of the above, having eaten one or other of them every hour for 72 hours, but they did the trick fairly well.

Stuff that others had that I was jealous of:

chocolate (simple but effective)
    mint cake
    cake (one team stopped at a WI cake sale and loaded up!)
    cold pizza slices
    sausage roll

kcr
    Free Member

I get a bit sick of eating sweet stuff all day in very long events, and have used Allen Lim’s rice cakes as an alternative (more savoury than the recipe above)

[video]https://youtu.be/5UiuqIWGe_s[/video]

Another of his pro team recipes is boiled tatties, rolled in olive oil and parmesan and wrapped in foil.

I can also recommend AUDAX events if you don’t want to carry all your own food; managed to scoff 6 cooked meals in my last one!

mrblobby
    Free Member

This thread is a superb illustration of the diverse nature of STW forumites 🙂

cloudnine
    Free Member

Home made malt loaf (containing dates, figs and raisins), coconut oil in stead of butter.. with Nutella and jam filling.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Portable "real" food for longer rides.’ is closed to new replies.