• This topic has 112 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • Portable Pizza oven Uuni
  • trout
    Free Member

our neighbors in the next camp up at the Puffer had one of these
    Uuni Pizza oven

and made us a Pizza to try it was very good
    I was wondering if any folks on here have one and what are your thoughts about build quality and performance .

alexpalacefan

I’ve had my eye on one of these, watching thread with interest.

I love pizza me!

APF

paulosoxo
    Free Member

We bought a terracotta one from Argos for £70, it’s heavy, but amazing. (Don’t take it campImg though)

midlifecrashes

Seems like a lot of hassle to go to to not tip the delivery guy. Also it’s a bit low tech, couldn’t you knock something up with 800w of LEDs?

Eyepic
    Free Member

Hey ….this is STW you know somebody on here has one ….I will be the first to raise my hand … got one love it…perormance is fine have cooked for 12 without difficulty. .. build is ok had one minor issue with an aluminium plate warping but easily rectified.

hammyuk
    Free Member

800W of LED’s isn’t going to give even a 10th of the heat necessary.

dmorts

As I understand it pizza ovens are all about heat build up and retention, hence they’re usually made of ceramic/stone/clay which retains the heat keeping the temperature even and constant.

As a portable unit that looks pretty good, but if you’re not going to move it there are other options. They made one on Jimmy and Jamies Food Fight last night out of two ceramic pots and fire bricks. I might have a go at building a cob oven some time myself

EDIT Uuni reviews do mention difficulty with temp control, but that’s going to be the trade off with portability

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

£200.00?
    😆
    😆
    😆
    😆
    😆
    I can’t see any reason for not buying one.

JoeG
    Free Member

tang
    Free Member

http://chadwickoven.com/introduction

These are made near to me, and I’ve eaten a pizza made in one, nice. Nearly £400 mind!

pete68
    Free Member

We’ve got an unni. Had it for about 18 months and it’s been really good. Makes authentic Italian tasting pizzas which are miles better than takeaway ones. My wife makes her own bases and tomato sauce as well. The oven cools down quickly when the fire burns out which means you can move it or put it away after not too long.

riddoch

Isn’t their premium wood pellets just cat litter?
    If it only takes 90s to cook a pizza you aren’t worried about heat retention. Also in a standard pizza oven don’t you need the heat retention because the fire space is where the pizza goes?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Oh they look good – think think we need one for the beach hut 🙂

Two things spring to mind though ….
    1) it looks like the chimney doesn’t remove ‘that’ easily which is a shame for storage
    2) I wonder why they didn’t go with a fixed door hinged at the bottom – might have been better.

Anyway – I can feel a purchase coming on!

edit: re the heat retention – the one thing that has always put me off a stone pizza oven is the fact that they take so long to heat up just for a maximum of 10 mins (or less) cooking. This seems perfectly acceptable, it really could be a spur of the moment thing …. if you’ve got pizza bases ready.

pete68
    Free Member

@sharkbait , the chimney comes off very easily. It just twists off. As long as you keep the wood pellets topped up then you can keep the heat as long as you like. You can’t use any old pellets either( certainly not cat litter! )as some have chemicals in which will be released when burnt. There’s a certain grade you need which is safe for cooking use. These are still cheap though. We get ours from mole valley stores.

dmorts

I think where the heat retention of a traditional oven will pay off is if you’re doing 2, 3, 4+ pizzas. Just sling them in one after another.

Although I too agree with the speed thing. Stoking your oven for hours for minutes of cooking isn’t great! Hence the Uuni could have something there.

One thing I have come to realise is pizza stones for household ovens are a waste of time. They take too long to heat up. A thick bottomed iron pan or skillet is much better as you can get this going on the hob first

Eyepic
    Free Member

The uuni is quick to set up …. gets up to full temperature in 15 minutes, will cook a pizza in 2 to 3 minutes, will cook 20 pizzas an hour, uses little fuel, cools down quite quickly can be put away in the shed and is much cheaper than it’s competition.

I have had one for a year and love it……still want to build a big brick pizza oven one day, but this is a sensible and cost effective way to get into making good wood fire pizzas.

sharkbait
    Free Member

A thick bottomed iron pan or skillet is much better as you can get this going on the hob first

I put our pizza stone on the hob to heat it up ….. are you not supposed to?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Pizza stone inside kettle BBQ FTW.

dmorts

I put our pizza stone on the hob to heat it up ….. are you not supposed to?

I’d assumed not, as it might crack?

But also I start the base while the pan is on the hob. Goes like this, oven on full, pan on hob heating up. Roll out the base and put in the pan, 30 sec or so. Then add the sauce and topping. Bit more time on the hob then put pan straight into the oven.

The result is the closest I’ve got to proper pizza oven pizza yet. Got the technique from a book by Franco Manca (or at least they endorse it)

Edit: This book here

trout
    Free Member

Great that no bad stories about the Uuni and good experiences.
    Will pop one on the birthday pressie list
    Or have a bash at making something similar

trout
    Free Member

Also like the look of Roccbox.com
    But not yet available

andysredmini
    Free Member

2 people I work with have the unni ones and keep going on about how good they are. I keep meaning to borrow one and copy it, get the parts laser cut and make my own. Not much too them when you look at one. I don’t know if I could be bothered with the hassle of making the bases though so I doubt I would get much use out of it.

igm

Mmm… Pizza

benmotogp46
    Free Member

I was going to mention the Roccbox. Does anyone know when theyre going to be available?

The Uuni looks good and are looking to sell out on the next shipment!

I like the look of that Esse. How much are they going for roughly?

benmotogp46
    Free Member

I looked at Dragon portable ovens aswell, the same used by Pizza Pilgrims on their Tuc Tuc.

Around £5k for an oven on a portable trailer!

sharkbait
    Free Member

The roccbox users a stone wrapped in steel for cooking on which the purists might prefer, but it will take longer to heat up so it will need more fuel to accomplish the same 2 minute cooking time (if you’re doing pizza).
    Looks like it’s going to cost more also.
    If I wanted to cook with gas I’d use a little weber q100.

Uuni looks spot on – think I’d add a temperature gauge though.

dmorts

I don’t know if I could be bothered with the hassle of making the bases though so I doubt I would get much use out of it.

Pizza dough really isn’t that much of a hassle, especially compared to

I keep meaning to borrow one and copy it, get the parts laser cut and make my own.

😀

It’s as simple as mix up the ingredients and put in fridge, then roll out when you’re ready.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ell me more about using a weber q as a pizza oven – what do i need . Got a q2200.

bruneep

bookmarking

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But also I start the base while the pan is on the hob. Goes like this, oven on full, pan on hob heating up. Roll out the base and put in the pan, 30 sec or so. Then add the sauce and topping. Bit more time on the hob then put pan straight into the oven.

The result is the closest I’ve got to proper pizza oven pizza yet. Got the technique from a book by Franco Manca (or at least they endorse it)

My method is:

Stone in the oven at max (260C, ish, it’s a gas oven ), it just needs to be as hot as you can possibly get it.

Have pizza ready to go on a floured chopping board (so it slides off).

Scatter more flour on pizza stone to stop it sticking and transfer pizza to stone quickly so it doesn’t cool too much.

Switch the oven to grill and put pizza just below the top, slightly lower than you would toast.

A couple of minutes later you have proper pizza.

benmotogp46
    Free Member

After spending the last few days researching this product (Uuni 2) and watching all the video’s and reviews, I am pleased to say I have just placed my order for one!

I’ve been really impressed by this product. I love the simplicity, the passion of the inventor and for what you get, I think it’s a bargain!

Thanks for bringing this to my attention OP. I actually started work on a masonry pizza oven last year which had to be haulted due to funds. I may still do this but look forward to enjoying the Uuni in the meantime.

Shipment is expected in March.

mrsfry
    Free Member

This thread is so STW 😆

ourmaninthenorth

+1 benmotogp46 – had never heard of the Uuni before seeing this thread, but it has combined my love of outdoor cooking and the desire to get a better homemade pizza.

My order also placed a couple of nights ago.

I’m now planning to build an outdoor kitchen to incorporate my BBQs and the Uuni. (Even if I do live in Lancashire where it rains 400 days a year…).

NZCol

I’ve got an Esse pizzastone sitting in the new garage waiting to go on its plinth. Lovely thing but not cheap £1100

matt_outandabout

I plan on building one of these into my garden soon. So simple to do.

This one was at a scout camp near Edinburgh:
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/nTmrdR]08[/url] by Learning through Landscapes & Grounds for Learning, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oaQSVr]09[/url] by Learning through Landscapes & Grounds for Learning, on Flickr

Rik
    Free Member

Can someone who owns a Uuni 2 tell me how it packs away – say if your taking it away camping?

I can’t find any information anywhere about this

– Do the feet fold away to make it smaller?
    – Do both the chimneys fit inside the main unit when packed

Want to fit it all in something like a ‘really useful storage box’ in the boot.

benmotogp46
    Free Member

The feet do fold under the oven as they’re hinged.

Not too sure about the chimney though. When watching the unboxing video, the chimney is stored inside the oven. I’m not sure this will fit once assembled as the main aliminum shelf looks slightly raised and there is a plate in front of the fuel crate which is used to prevent too much direct flame on the crust.

tod456
    Free Member

Has any one used the weber pizza stone?

ourmaninthenorth

Has any one used the weber pizza stone?

I bought my Weber Mastertouch because the grill grate can take various different cooking devices, including a pizza stone. However, on reading lots about making pizza in the Weber there seems to be a standard complaint: base burns before the topping is cooked. The issue seems to be that the kettle is too big – it needs a much lower lid. Also I’m not sure it’s possible to get the Weber up to the required 450 degrees.

One blog I read suggested having the charcoal as usual in the base and then using the Mastertouch charcoal holders with extra charcoal in and placed on top of the grill grate either side of the pizza.

I was going to give it a try this year, but have now (pre) ordered the Uuni instead.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Portable Pizza oven Uuni’ is closed to new replies.