Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Popped my Kirroughtree Cherry today.
  • stevewhyte
    Free Member

Bloomin cold today too.

Not sure what all the fuss is about to be honest. Some very nice bits, especially as you come across the wee loch, nice section but the last section is pretty crappy.

Still another one crossed off the list of 7 stanes.

rudedog
    Free Member

what route did you do?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Did the red and part of the black

legend
    Free Member

sounds like you’re doing it wrong

julioflo
    Free Member

Only been thre once, two new years ago, when the snow and ice were heavy on the ground. Felt it was slightly overhyped [could have been the conditions] but I though the last bit of the red, Beginning of the end or Final Hurrah or whatever it is called was flippin great….

stevewhyte
    Free Member

legend – Member
    sounds like you’re doing it wrong

Your right must be, i’ll just pi55 off and sell my MTB then. 🙄

Northwind

I think it’s overhyped, but I also think it’s ace 😉 Quite a lot is fairly empty simple trail, it weaves and swoops but doesn’t do much. Do like the last bit, as long as I’ve still got the legs to charge down it flat out.

IMO the best bits are McMoab and the black return from there though, so you might have missed most of that from the sound of it. Talnotry Hill is a bit good.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Unfortunatly black trail is a step too far for me, the bit i did was fine but there were a couple of rocky sections that i had to walk down. Also am noty fit enough to do the whole route right now.

I actually really liked the blue/red parts of the trail the best, they justed seemed to flow nicely, it seemed to come off and on the fire road quite a bit too.

Definatly prefer Mabie, and Ae.

Will have a go next year and hopefully do the whole black too.

chrisdb
    Free Member

I found it to be a bit overhyped too. It’s not really steep enough for my liking.

Northwind

The first time I went to Kirroughtree, I wasn’t really quite up for it… Right on the edge of my skill, and a little bit past the limit of my fitness. I didn’t get close to getting the best of the trail tbh, the lack of gradient does mean you need to supply the motion yourself. I think maybe I was just a little “ahead” of where you are, maybe not. But it did seem like very hard work, and I was missing out on the best of it despite that.

It does get better.

daveb
    Free Member

I think its an excellent trail. I did the red on Monday as was time constrained and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have went round the black many times and think its great fun with some really nice sections. It does have a few fireroad sections but what trailcentre doesnt?

Shame you didnt enjoy it as much as you had hoped, perhaps another visit would change your mind 😀

rudedog
    Free Member

Go back when your fitter and I bet you enjoy it more 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

You’ve got to enjoy pedalling/know how to carry speed.

I love the descent from Black Craigs and the following few sections, lovely payback for the climbing.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

The black loop at any pace close, or faster, than 2 1/2 hours is an amazing trail.

Only a couple of trails better IMO.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Yeah, the Talnotry hill bit just seems to flow so well, it’s great fun, just takes ages to get to it, haha!

rudedog
    Free Member

You can park at McMoab and start the route from there instead of the trail head – it means you get heartbreak hill out of the way early and have plenty of energy to get the most out of the Talnotry descent.

DWT
    Free Member

Yes it is tough on the legs but I found it a great trail tbh. It was joint top for me with Glentress. I enjoyed it more than riding the Afan trails which I ride weekly. Although that could be down to the novelty factor 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Also am noty fit enough to do the whole route right now.

That’s your problem, IMHO you’ve got to get the hammer down at Kirro, and you will be rewarded. Quite different from the likes of GT, big haul up and then fly down.

And to say it’s not as good as Ae is nuts 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The black loop at any pace close, or faster, than 2 1/2 hours is an amazing trail.

Only a couple of trails better IMO.

Nail. On. Head.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I think Ae is a great trail, Omega Man is fab, Grannies Green love is the biz. Could do with a bit more singletrack instead of the fire road before grannies green love.

jaylaz73

Ae and Kirroughtree are similar in the way you are rewarded for the effort and skill you apply, both great trails which require an aggressive and confident approach. Was at Ae recently and think the new sections of trail and improvements have made it one the best trail centre rides, but again, you have to go full throttle to get the rewards!

rudedog
    Free Member

I remember Ae having a couple of quite a nice but short bits at the beginning, then a really long bit in the middle that just didn’t seem to have any flow or features and seemed to go on forever. The Omega Man at the end was decent but not really long enough.

Can’t really see much similarity with Kirroughtree at all (I haven’t been back since the recent improvements though).

Northwind

I think I need to get back to Ae… Found it really pretty poor last time, good in small sections but very hard work for the return. And Omega Man cheesed me off, partly by not being all that good but mainly for being an “epic final descent” that turned into a climb then returned to the fire road, then started another final descent. Like they went out of their way to build an anticlimax.

But I think I judge it too harshly, knowing what to expect I think I can get a lot more fun out of it.

legend
    Free Member

But I think I judge it too harshly

i dunno about that, i reckon it’s pish too

jaylaz73

Definitely give it another go, makes a great night ride too!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Dont fancy the edge at night 😯

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I love it, probably my fav of the stanes. If your a bit of a list ticker then mabe its not for you.
    As a matter of interest have you been up to Laggan and Golspie wildcat? Would love to know what you think of those.
    Whats your favorite, natural / mountain (non trail centre) type ride in uk?

spanishfly
    Free Member

Its unfair to chastise any trail/route when you havent done it full.

Do the black next year and see if its any better than what you tried this week.

I cant recall any bits in Kirroughtree that you have to get off and push down, but horses for courses.

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

Ooh Golspie. Now that’s what I want as a trail. Fanflippintastic!

stevemtb
    Free Member

Kirry is pretty dependent on which bike you’re riding too. I turned up there the first time on something with pretty big travel thought it was ok. Next time it was on something more xc and it was fantastic. Like others have said it really rewards pushing the pedals hard on the flat/downhill sections where most other trail centres use gravity at that point.

Black section after heartbreak hill is probably my favourite, just wish I had energy at that point. May start there next time.

richmtb

I think Kirroughtree is great if possibly a bit overhyped, I would definitely go more often but its a bit of a haul from Glasgow compared to GT, Inners or Ae

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

have you been up to Laggan and Golspie wildcat?

Golspie, Balblair and possibly Laggan are better IMO.

None of the Welsh centres come close. Maybe Brechfa, maybe.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

spanishfly – Member
    Its unfair to chastise any trail/route when you havent done it full.

Do the black next year and see if its any better than what you tried this week.

I cant recall any bits in Kirroughtree that you have to get off and push down, but horses for courses.

Unfair? really even tho i did all the red and a part of the black.
    So i cant comment on the red then, yes very good!

Hey maybe yo are just a mega superstar mountain bike rider and can traverse anything the 7 stanes can provide. Newsflash im not not sure if you are just being arrogant or are just a blow hard.

How come there seems to be very little room for new riders on this forum, everyone seems to think they are Cadel Evans, keyboard warrior syndrome?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Steve – are you a troll?

Kit
    Free Member

How come there seems to be very little room for new riders on this forum, everyone seems to think they are Cadel Evans, keyboard warrior syndrome?

I notice this too. A forum full of confident, 30’s-are-the-new-20’s, blokes and you’re going to get a load of “man up”, “do it my way” type comments. Ignore them – if something doesn’t float your boat, then no one can tell you you’re doing it wrong, or go back and give it a better go! And for the record, I hate Ae too, but Mabie is braw! 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

Good job you didn’t ask what kneepads for XC!

spanishfly
    Free Member

Good grief,I must have touched a nerve,

I believe my comments are just, you can only form an opinion on the red part of the track.

I have only done the red while racing or as part of the full black loop not as a dedicated loop but throughout I cant recall with the exception of a part of McMoab being too onerous.

I am unsure how to respond to the Cadel Evans remark as I dont understand it.

I am flattered by the poster assuming I am only in my 30s.

nick1962
    Free Member

I agree with your comments spanishfly even though I’m a little concerned by your username 🙂

stevewhyte- i too was a tad underwhelmed by Kirro first time though I did the black rather than red.As others have said the black which incorprates the red is a great ride and defintely worth another visit.Much better too if you start in the car park at Heartbreak Hill then you’re fresh for all the good bits. Not a big fan of McMoab myself though

julians
    Free Member

Did kirroughtree and Ae a couple of weekends ago, it was the second time I’d done both, the first time was a few of years ago.

First time round I thought kirroughtree was the best of the stanes, but this time round I found it pretty boring, just seemed to be a drag rather than fun, not much in the way of downhill sections. Dont know why I liked it first time round.

Ae on the other hand was excellent, especially the last few descents.

pottsathome
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Popped my Kirroughtree Cherry today.’ is closed to new replies.