Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Popes Wood eager beavers!
  • DarrenH

Had a spin around popes wood this morning,
    have to say whoever put the time and effort into the (many) downhill tracks there, good job.
    Definately the best trails I've ridden since I got back into offroading.
    If anyone responsible is on this forum, well done!

Dimmadan
    Free Member

How many tracks did you find?

DarrenH

Think I found the long run down through the wood you said about earlier this week dimma, very good!
    Must of found about 3 other bridleways but it looks like there's a couple of new tracks taking shape.
    Didn't attempt any of the drop offs though, not enough bottle! 🙁

Dimmadan
    Free Member

There is a sweet downhill run off the back of the starting mound. It heads down the back of the hill towards Cranham/Main Road.

I need to get up there an have a look at what has been built as it has been a year or so.

DarrenH

yeah, there's some good stuff there, get in touch next time you fancy a scoot round dimma. Family and work commitments permitting i'll come along

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

There is a sweet downhill run off the back of the starting mound. It heads down the back of the hill towards Cranham/Main Road.

oh really? might head over there tomorrow in that case!

DarrenH

Cool, might see you up there! 🙂

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

on the note of dh in the area. anyone tried the trail running from the end of the racetrack near the shrine? heads off left down the hill for aaages. had a walk down it but didn't even reach the end after 5 mins of walking.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

I tend to ride up that trail to get to the bomb holes before the shrine (where JB poster is). Since the FC have cut down all those trees I have seen the DH track develop. There is a load more potential up there but don't want to see anymre building up there as it is getting a little silly.
    I was almost hit the other week when a DH rider flew over that large tree stump drop just before the new left hand turning berm area. When I was hacking my way up the main path.

As for Popes, the new trail is a fun way to get to the road.
    I tend to ride from the car park by the golf course and head up towards the jump area, there is a track that goes off to the right near where the big drop in is. You then have two options to get down the hillm one is to go straight down which is fast but boring, or hang a right at the top and you have a good fun run to the bottom.

Will be up there in an hour so may see people out.

whyterthanwhite
    Free Member

Actually, now you come to mention it, I have helped create the trails up there since '99.
    At the tender age of 13yrs old with some big meat-head blokes who brought up the tools in their pickup who also built nad put a lot of time and effort into Leckhampton too.

T'was slave labour I tell's yaou! 😛

BUT all's good except what has happened to ''Jim-bully'' up at cranham recently???

Anyone care to discuss and update please as I'm due a ride over that way some week soon.

ta,

whyter 🙂

Dimmadan
    Free Member

JB was in the woods earlier with his wife and dog (9.30-10am) near the top of the shrine.
    Not seen any damage as we spent 30mins messing about on jumps and talking to Graham Foot.
    Did notice that the tile tack have been removed from the poster.

As for the down hill the oposite side of the Shrine. We rode the whole thing earlier and it is brilliant. The only thing is the first section brings you out at at the briddle path then you bang a right and then hit a jump and carry on.

Only downer is there is the downhill just stops randomly and there is no trail to get to the top and it is one hell of a climb back up.

DarrenH

Was up in Cranham woods this morning guys, great day for it!
    Probably saw some of you good people up there actually ( also met the mtb legend Graham foot ).
    Anyway, we tried another good downhill in popes wood, the place really is a little jem.
    Shame we couldn't stay up there longer 🙁

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Darren, were you in the dumping car park talking to Graham? Me and my mate shot past the 3 of you there. Popes wood was ace earlier. Love the drop in jumps.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I was over there this afternoon. started near ullenwood star college and rode over to the shrine. did that dh at the end of the racetrack and echo your thoughts dimmadan. was looking at how to extend it but the climb back up will be even worse then!
    Wish I'd had a quick chat with graham foot. no idea what he looks like but wasn't he involved with the kis track etc?
    didn't get over to popes wood which is a shame but i might pop over mid week to have a look and see if there is anything new.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

KIS 2 should get planning permission this week!

There is a track that horse use near the bottom of that DH track that may give options. But not sure the owner of the forest will be that happy.

Graham is running round on a santacruz blinged up with red hope goodies.
    Also wears Mace kit and has a beard!

DarrenH

Yep that was us Dimma or Dan?
    I was the one in the pauper's mtb kit!
    Good couple of hours up there today.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Dan will do 😆
    Yeah did see you. We were up there for nearly 3 hours and had loads of fun. Shrine jumps are great.

Dancake
    Free Member

Ill be popping up Thurs morning before work … Determined to drop in and Jump this time. (rather than drop in and BRAKE)

Been doing Standish Woods a bit lately, too. Theres a few bits and bobs there which are fun – give it a go if you havnt tried it. There is a play area at the Small car park end which is good too

Start at Haresfield Beacon Car Park. Take the Top path and look left; there is a neat little singletrack that runs adjacent to the Field and you can follow it to the quarry where the Jumps/ drops are. Have an explore; there is wicked drop in to table top (which I wont go near yet)

Dancake
    Free Member

oopsy – double postage

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Dan, I know the carpark (one with the fencae al? the way around) but which is the top path? (Actually on the beacon)?

Dancake
    Free Member

fencae al

Absolutely no idea what you mean there.

Coming from the Whiteshill side (turn off at the Sharp cormer) the Car park is a gravelly affair on the left . Just by the entrance on the left is a step down into the forest.

There are 3 paths, Top, Middle and Bottom. The top is quite flat and joins the middle one further on But they all eventually converge at the Quarry end where there are some bits and bobs to play on (both at High and Low level)

Branching off from the main paths are one or two singletracks and a couple of downhills. I recently found the one mentioned earlier which is on the LHS of the top path. I have only done it slowly because I had the Dogs with me

Only downside is the area is quite popular with Dog walkers (me included) so Care must be taken on the main paths.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Sorry, meant fenced car park where the actual beacon is.

Dancake
    Free Member

Haresfiled dog walk

I dont know If you can see this but this is a map of a dog walk. It starts on the bottom track to the quarry and back up to the top track.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

I see, one big loop of the forest. Is it worth the hack over cranham?

Dancake
    Free Member

The site that is Called "Charlie's Rock" (dont ask) is a little play area and the "Mountain Bike bowl" is the bottom with bits in between

Dancake
    Free Member

Just different. Cranham is so good..I just want to learn the trails and get good at them. I like to go to Standish for a change occasionally.

I wouldnt mind making a few hours of it. Do cranham and painswick, through edge to Standish and then home.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Kool, may check it out over the next few weeks. cheers

DarrenH

Standish looks good, I'll have to give it a look soon too.
    Might get a few spare hours thursday morning before work so I might give pope's another go.
    Might see you up there Dancake.

Dancake
    Free Member

Cool. We usually drive the cars up to the top car park up the lane by the Royal William and start from there (Although I may be riding up if Mrs Dancake has the car! )

If I know what time we are starting ill give a post to say when

Dancake
    Free Member

Actually venturing out tomorrow (Tuesday) before work .Will be getting up to RW about 8.30

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

just to mention, and not to boast too much but, done the drop to table you mentioned dancake in standish quarry. awesome fun. there's a nice big easy tabletop over in the quarry too, great for practise. there are a few dh tracks down the back (as i call it) of standish which are fairly fun. I need to get back there soon!

DarrenH

Can't make it up tomorrow morning.
    Bloody 6 to 2 shifts! 👿

Dancake
    Free Member

Bad luck on the shifts. (I have just got back and dont feel ready for the 2.30 -10.30 (knackered)

Had a really rewarding ride in the end

. I have had a real bee in my bonnent about jumping for months, now, and the drops into the 2 jumps in Pope's I though were the best way to excercise those demons.

Anywhoo, it didnt work and after a few bail outs, I was in my usual position of being so tense that a 6 incher would have sent me onto my face. This clearly wasnt working and I was ruining my experience as always.

So I made a decision. "Leave the jumping to someone else – Ill find another way down- every time" I tell you what, it was like a weight had been lifted. I now choose a route on the left which is a little drop in with a turn to the left, over a little drop that you can lift off and up onto the mound facing the jumps.

After this, I left the area and did the little track down to portway and with the new confidence on board, managed the tricky section for the first time (tricky for me; a rooty approach with a steep drop)

After this is was a bit of an explore, up to the racetrack bombhole (which we have started to do a little lift into )to the shrine trail (got to be the best time for me yet) and back to the wall. (Ok I messed that up- too fast into the second drop and couldnt take my eyes off the tree- which is magnetic) It was then across the beacon (where we got told off for talking by some golfers) to home.

A brilliant day, all because I finally decided to enjoy what I can do and leave what I cant do (at least for a while)

bloody hell what a long post

DarrenH

Dan, I reckon jumping's something you should only try when you're 100% confident in your own abilities.
    thats my excuse anyway! (any tips dirtbiker?)
    I only managed to finally grow a pair and do the racetrack bombholes last sunday, after lots of enthusiastic encouragement ( cheers Lee!).
    Hopefully I'll be able to get up there later this week, all this talk's giving me itchy feet…

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Dan, pratice makes perfect. I was a cr@p jumper and have started going over all the Shrine jumps with more confidence and also those 2 in Popes. Have cleared the one on the left but the one on the right requires so much speed to clear. But getting there.

It lush and dry up there isn't it.

Dancake
    Free Member

It lush and dry up there isn't it

Sure is. We are going up after work Thursday and the weather is set to be nice so should be good.

There is something Surreal in riding accross Painswick Beacon at Midnight… Light choice is a DX Bicycle Light which is 1/2 as powerful as it should be and a chopped up Tesco torch stapped to my Helmet! Happy days

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Popes Wood eager beavers!’ is closed to new replies.