Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • POP Server Woes
  • slowjo
    Free Member

Since about Christmas time, I have been unable to receive emails on my main (work) account. I can send, but that is it.

I have spoken to my service provider who tells me there are no issues with POP at the moment.

I have tried to access the account with different internet accounts, on a range of different devices and I have even gone so far as to delete Thunderbird and reinstall it. Nothing works.

Any suggestions about how I might go about either fixing this or finding out what is wrong?

deadkenny
    Free Member

If it’s failing on multiple devices and accounts, sounds like their server is on the blink even if they are unaware of it. That or their server settings have changed or you’re using the wrong settings.

Do they have an IMAP server? If so try setting it up with IMAP instead (might be different server settings).

IMAP has a number of benefits over POP anyway.

If they have web mail, could try accessing it via that just to see if the mail server itself and/or accounts are okay.

slowjo
    Free Member

Thanks….I’ll give that a try

Cougar

Symptoms? Error messages? Is there mail queued or are senders getting NDRs?

slowjo
    Free Member

No error messages.
    No mail queued.
    Have just spoken to my service provider who checked the server while I was on the phone. No errors. He checked with another of their customers who also uses POP3 with them, they have no problems either.
    He did mention that they will be phasing out use of their email server as it is not their core business (it is a local firm that I have known for years – they are customers of mine)and though it has yet to be announced, he suggested it might be a good idea to start looking for alternatives.
    BT are my internet provider, is there any reason why I shouldn’t just transfer everything to them at some stage? The thing is though, it doesn’t help me solve the immediate problem.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘POP Server Woes’ is closed to new replies.