Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Poorly pigeon – what to do ?
  • trailmonkey

we’ve had a pigeon in the garden for a few days and at first i thought he was just a crap fledgling that had been booted out the nest but didn’t really know what to do next. he wasn’t really trying to fly and just seemed content to keep out of the sun under the patio table.
    i’ve just seen him try to take off however and he’s obviously got a bad wing and he can’t do it. what can i do ? will the rspca/pdsa take him in ?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

will the rspca/pdsa take him in ?

Yep. And any vet will be prepared to put down a wild animal to stop further suffering.

trailmonkey

can’t they fix him ?

stucol
    Free Member

Speckled Jim ?

Sandwich

Pie?

seavers
    Free Member

Yeah I would try and get it in a box and contact RSPCA, otherwise it might end up as cat food/toy. If the poor thing is badly injured at least it will get put down in a humane manor. I hate seeing stuff like this.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

can’t they fix him ?

rspca/pdsa might but a private vet will put it down humanely. If it’s a broken wing it can’t be fixed so would have to remain in captivity forever.

toppers3933
    Free Member

We had a fledgling in the garden a couple of summers ago. When we first found it the rspca couldn’t have cared less. We were trying to look after but the (evil ratty scumbag) magpies got to it and mortally wounded it. I was amazed how distressing I found it. It wasnt’ quite dead when I found it, but not far off. didnt last much longer.

Gorehound
    Free Member

The usual way to deal with such a bird is wring it’s neck to end the poor buggers suffering.

trailmonkey

thanks all, i’ll get him to a vet or the rspca tomorrow.

happynicky
    Free Member

take it to rspca is the best way

bruk

Google for wildlife sanctuary near you, they may try to rehabilitate it. However as pigeons are just flying rats they may euthanise it to save funds for other wildlife.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Poorly pigeon – what to do ?’ is closed to new replies.