Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Pooley Bridge Routes
  • beano68
    Free Member

Going to Pooley Bridge next weekend in the camper van with the wife so while I’m there it’ll be rude not to take the bike 😉 is there any decent loops from the campsite

Thanks

jekkyl

There is! How long have you got? Straight up from Pooley bridge to the fell gate, carry on up and turn right at the cockpit small stone circle, descend with beautiful views of Ullswater all the way to Howton, this is usually called the Ullswater singletrack, back along the road there will take you straight back to your campsite or carry on round to Patterdale and take the more scenic Road back. If you’ve got all day ascend Helvellyn from Glenridding up Kepple Cove and your choice of descent!

carlos
    Free Member

Start as above but instead of descending keep left’ish and head to Loadpot Hill, right at The Knott, Angle Tarn, Boredale Hause, round close to the water to Sandwick, pick up the trail Jekkyl mentioned but as a climb back up,to the Cockpit, left on the Roman Road and roll back to the pub

beano68
    Free Member

Thanks Gents ! I’m there all weekend so fancy a long trip out on the Saturday … Thanks again 😀

BFITH
    Free Member

I used to do a little loop from Pooley Bridge – Basically follow road down to Howtown double back on bridleway that goes up to cockpit. After cockpit follow bridleway/track to Helton. Bit of road onto Askham then climb back up to cockpit on bridleway and right back down track to pooley bridge. Nothing too testing, but a nice quick loop and some decent views along the way (lots of shake holes up by cockpit – if youre into that sort sort of thing 🙂 )

jekkyl

I’ve always wondered about a big day out from Pooley Bridge up the fell track and following high street / roman road all the way down to Windermere for lunch and back along the road Via Kirkstone pass and if it’d worth it?

slackboy

I did this from the waterside campsite over the weekend. The descent into Martindale was sublime. I came back along the road but you can always climb back up from Howtown to the cockpit if you are feeling fit.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1074912248

Another option is to climb up onto High Street from patterdale and come back along high street over loadpot hill and down to pooley bridge.

the Vertebrate Lake district book has several good options from ullswater area.

thekettle
    Free Member

@ Jekkyl: High Street descent towards Troutbeck isn’t great – steep grass.
    If you want to ride High Street from Pooley Bridge, get the ferry to Patterdale, climb up via Hayes Water onto it and follow it North over Loadpot Hill down to the cockpit. Or if you’re feeling more energetic, skip the ferry and take the bridleway to Howtown, over the zig-zag road and along the lake shore from Sandwick.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Up to Askham moor, descend to howtown, UBW to Glenridding, up the knott, Satura crags, Angle tarn, Boredale hause, Glenridding for lunch, then back along UBW.

Braw day.

beano68
    Free Member

Thanks #slackboy that route looks ideal as I’m also going to be staying at waterside campsite …

Thanks again all 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Pooley Bridge Routes’ is closed to new replies.