Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Pooley Bridge activities for 10&5yr olds during holiday week?
  • Trekster

Spending a few days near Pooley Bridge during school hols and needing to amuse 2 x10yr olds, 1x5yr old & 1x4yr old.
    Granddaughter is primed for a bit of biking, the others may like a bit of kyaking.

4yr old granddaughter is nuts and game for anything ❗ She currently has a broken finger but you wouldn’t know it!

5yr old granddaughter is a wee bit difficult/unpredictable.

10yr old grandson is like his sister game for anything ❗

Recommendations welcome…..

matt_outandabout

Steamer, with walk or cycle back along south shore from Howtown.

Soooo many hills and walks – Aire Force is great, Hallin Fell a lovely wee walk up a ‘big’ mountain like hill, wander up to the Youth Hostel above Glenridding, Penrith Beacon etc. St Johns in the Vale – low and high rigg are lovely wanders.

Rent a canoe or boat from Glenridding sailing school.

Pedal – up onto the Cockpit, down to Howtown is an absolute (short) classic. More riding around that same area, easier bits over to Loadpot and down to Helton and Askham (big hill though…),

The mines at Mungrisedale (the Troutbeck one) are good for a wander and scrape round the old mine slag heaps in search of ‘crystals’ (old baryte mines).

Keswick pencil museum is a giggle on a wet day, the parks in Keswick and Penrith Castle are superb for that age. Good pools at Keswick and Penrith too.

(Maybe I have rose tinted specs, but one of the nicest places for a holiday in the UK, but then I am a Penrith boy…)

djflexure

We just had a week there early Sept and thoroughly enjoyed it, but our kids are a bit older 10,12, 14.

Walk down to the shops and buy some tat for them, have a pint by the river (sorry). Did this more than once.

The girls had a pony trek – decent outfit at one of the campsites on the road to Howtown.

We rode our bikes a fair bit (but you’ll struggle with younger ones).

The steamer goes from Pooley down to Howtown and across to Glenridding.

We also used the car and had great days out on Haweswater and Coniston – but the weather was mint – top off and everything.

Oh nearly forgot – climbing wall at Keswick is good for all ages (I think)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Pooley Bridge activities for 10&5yr olds during holiday week?’ is closed to new replies.