Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Poo, rear wheel **** – recommend me a new rim
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Rear wheel pulled out of the dropouts and got twisted sideways. Took it to my LBS and they say about 8 spokes are streteched and the rim is knackered (it actually came back worse than it was when I took it in!).
    So it looks like I need a new rim. The original was a 717 on a Hope XC hub, bike is a 456 ridden by a slightly lardy 93kg wheels very much on the ground type fella.
    I want to keep the hub so a rebuild is in order should I stick with 717 or is there something else that might be better for no more money?

float
    Free Member

superstar rims? nice and cheap, just got me a wheel loaded with their downhill rim to stick on the hardtail so Ive yet to see how strong they are.

Conespanner

a Mavic 719 is the same price as a 717 just a little more beefy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I recently built up a pair with EN521 rims, very impressed by how stiff they were! (95kg wheels in the air type)

thomthumb
    Free Member

719s on my 456 have a hard time and are still straight as an arrow.

binners

I pringled an XC 717 on a Hope hub while back. I don’t think they’re built to take serious abuse. They’re too light.

I moved up to an XM719. They’re that little bit beefier than the 717’s

sharkbait
    Free Member

Re the 719s lighter than 317s?

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

I should have a black 717 disc on black hope xc for sale later this week when my new crest hoop arrives. Will be after about £50 posted, if your interested email me.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’m interested but you’ve not put an email addy inyour profile 🙁

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

Sharkbait
    martin at mcriley co uk

My new hoop has arrived, so need to clean, check and take a few photos of the old wheel, I’ll try to do it tonight, if not should be tomorrow.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Poo, rear wheel **** – recommend me a new rim’ is closed to new replies.