Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Pompino/Day One/Roadrat etc – Whats Best?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Looking to get a cheap(ish) runabout for the shops, child seat carrying duties and stuff like that with maybe the odd very tame off-road jaunt. So thinking about all the above in a CX-ey guise and I was just wondering who has what and what they think of them? Pompinos feature high on my list as they seem to be cheap to buy new and stupidly cheap used which is good for something that’ll be locked up outside the shops and stuff now and again but I can’t get away from the fact that the Genesis Day One ticks all the boxes AND looks absolutely stunning at the same time (and my LBS has the 2013 one for £599!).

So, what say you?

trail_rat
    Free Member

all ill say is i wouldnt get a road rat for child carrying dutys ….

its a good bike but a load lugger it is not

thomthumb
    Free Member

i love my pompino but it’s cheap for a reason, it’s not the best finished etc. the ride can’t be faulted though.

if your’re locking it upside the shop do you want “looks stunning”?

woody2000

DBW – I’ve got a Roadrat frame you might be interested in 🙂

Robespierre
    Free Member

Day One is a top bike, and if the you can get the new 2013 one in blue with the BB7’s for 100 quid less than book I’d seriously think about it. Pompino’s tend to come geared for the raod I think, while the D1 is 42/18, which sort of covers both on and off road. It’s quite a retro type bike and I’m not 100% convinced about the discs in relation to this. Use mine for the shops/pub and most riding short of the High Peak.

thomthumb
    Free Member

if the day one is disks go there.

I upgraded the pompino to a front disc and it has improved it massively.

simonm
    Free Member

Day one.

I had a pompetamine for same duties, but felt it sluggish, changed that to a Croix as there was a frame going V cheep. Very happy now.

ourmaninthenorth

Is it poss to run the Day One disc as a fixed?

footflaps

For a cheap bike, quite impressed with my Pompino, wheels still true, hubs still run fine, only thing I’ve changed in 6 years due to wear is the headset.

micky
    Free Member

I have a Pompino. Finish is great on mine. More like the old paint finish you used to get before powder coating that some young uns will not remember! Does not go hazy with surface scratching but will chip. They are long and low like old school cross country. I find myself shifting my weight around on it and throwing it about like a hooligan! Feels great with light off road duties such as bumpy canal tow paths etc. Only down side is toe overlap but it is such a fun ride I can forgive that. I recommend fitting flat bars with stubby bar-ends and v-brakes.I tried 2 drop bars and just could not get them to feel right. Also recommended are big 35c tyres.

barn
    Free Member

If doing a few miles carrying kids, I’d highly recommend getting a bike with gears.

footflaps

My Pompino. Rides really well, a great bike.

On-one Il Pompino (My commuter) by brf, on Flickr

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I have a day one alfine 8 speed. Hated it at first and had a mechanical issue early on. Swapped the shitty tyres and crap seat. Fitted a rack and sks guards and its ace. Did a 60 miler the other week and never battered an eyelid. Its not a speed machine, just nice to bimble along. Commutes and long rides. A grower and im loving it to bits now. You cant go wrong with any of the bikes mentioned.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Pompino/Day One/Roadrat etc – Whats Best?’ is closed to new replies.