Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Pompino Brake options
  • barrykellett
    Free Member

Need new brakes for my Pompino, as the Planet X Frogs Bollox set I got for it are frankly AWFUL!

No modulation, you have to pull the levers very hard to get any sort of purchase, and its uncomfortable on the hands doing so.

I am running them with a set of Tektro R200A Levers.

Can I try out my old Tektro V-Brakes I have in the spares box using those levers?

disco_stu
    Free Member

i recently had a kinesis cx fork fitted as it gives me the option of fitting bb7 disc brakes in the future, for the moment I'm using tektro oryx cantilevers with std pompino levers and they do feel much better than the original canti's

ski
    Free Member

Are you using Drop bars?

Swap to V's and DiaComp 287's levers?

tony_m
    Free Member

To use your old Tektro V's, I guess you'd either have to swop the levers to DiaComp 287's as suggested above, or fit a set of Travel Agents if you wanted to keep using the Tektro levers.

Alternatively, maybe a set of Tektro Mini V's? I've got these on the Kaff – they'll work with the Tektro levers, and the only minor issue I've had with them was not being able to unhook and open them far enough to get the wheel out easily, but solved that by adding in-line cable adjusters.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Yea, I am on drops.
    I dont think the R200A levers I have will work with ordinary V's as you say Tony_m.
    I read that in a few places since posting.

Maybe I should just buy one of those cow horn shaped bars and use bar end levers as I never actually go down on the drops on the pompino I have found.

ski
    Free Member

Before doing anything, it might be worth try setting up your Planet X Frogs again, set up correctly they should be fine.

Sheldon (rip) did a good article on setting up the yoke angle correctly, brake shoe angle also makes a hell of a difference, worth checking out if you have not already:

http://sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-geometry.html#definition

BigDummy
    Free Member

I don't know what pads you're using. When I got my (second hand) Pomp, it had some rock-hard pads in the On-One cantis which were absolutely modulation-free and rather alarming. I replaced them with Avids and things improved spectacularly. Set-up is crucial of course, but the problem with mine turned out to be terrible pads. 😀

barrykellett
    Free Member

The pads do feel incredibly rock hard, Maybe I should give them another chance and see if I can improve the braking somewhat. Might save a few quid I suppose

epicyclo

I use Shorty Vs and they're good. I also use Tektro cantis on my other Pompino and they are not quite so good, but much better than the Frogleg things which were too much faff to set up properly.

Make sure you are using appropriate levers.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Pompino Brake options’ is closed to new replies.