Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Stan's or other milky goodness – Poll?
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

So what are we all using?

If not Stan's, then please mention what you are

I suppose I'm looking for a cheaper alternative

bonesetter
    Free Member

I use Stan's

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

Joe's here.

sockpuppet

jra wheel milk

MicArms

If you want the cheapest, have you tried using manfat? Takes a while to do each tyre, but you're never a loss on the trailif you need a top up..

coatesy
    Free Member

Fitted Stans wheelset and No-Tubes for a customer a few days back, all went together really well. Still can't get over the fact they sell them as tubeless ready when you have to faff around with sticky tape and cut down innertubes(nor the fact that the want £70 for the kit to do it)either).

wwaswas

Joe's – seems to be slightly bigger 'granules' than Stans but otherwise the same and their rim strips are cheaper too.

votchy
    Free Member

Stans here too, previously used JRA, both have worked.

cookeaa

Latex based homebrew here…

nickc

Joe's here. But only 'cause that's what the shop had in stock at the time, TBH I think they're all pretty similar

gamo
    Free Member

used both,both work!

uplink
    Free Member

Stan's or Joe's here

I don't like JRA as it dries into a big lump far too easily

not tried any others

DezB
    Free Member

I use Tyre Shield – off Ebay

bonesetter
    Free Member

Does the homebrew work out cheaper?

cookeaa

bonesetter – Member
    Does the homebrew work out cheaper?

It really depends what you put in it, plain latex and water is very cheap, but certainly not as good in the current weather as stans & co; add a dash of antifreeze and some sort of particulate (I’ve been monkeying with chopped fibreglass lately) and the cost goes up but I conservatively estimate you’d still produce roughly 3x the quantity for the same price, so 3 Litres of home brew for the cost of 1 Litre of Stans (ish)…

To be honest it’s not all about cost saving for me, I like to experiment with things, try it out and see what does and doesn’t work for me…

Ultimately as my sealant brews are a bit of an experiment I’m probably running a greater risk of flatting and not having the hole seal, and I think you have to factor function in to things, cheap sealant sounds great, but a good sealant that works when you need it is probably worth paying for, especially if you’re not the type who likes pissing about measuring jugs and just want to “fit and forget”….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Stan's or other milky goodness – Poll?’ is closed to new replies.