Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Polished XTR Singlespeed Cranks
  • Skyliner
    Free Member

Been offered a 'Jones Conversion' set of highly polished 960 Singlespeed XTR cranks, which I've got to say look incredible. I've never seen these come up for sale before so is the asking price of £100 about right? Thanks.

DT78
    Free Member

Dunno. You can buy 960's for £80ish with rings. If you are fairly handy with an angle grinder you could probably 'Jones' it yourself.

Only worth the extra if you can't do it yourself imo.

(I have a set I've been thinking about trying this out)

I think you may be limited to a 32t single ring with them still though

st

Are they Jones conversions or have they at least been finished off just as well?

I'd say for £100 in decent nick they're a good buy. A secondhand set of unfinished cranks could cost you that much and what is the hours of hand finishing that would be needed be worth to you?

Skyliner
    Free Member

Cheers all, just didnt want to pay the money and see the seller laugh all the way to the bank!! They're not done by Jones but are done very well. I think I'll have em, dont think I would have the balls to take an angle grinder to a set of XTR's, let alone the hours of finishing. Lovely!

njee20
    Free Member

I think that's a good price, if they look good then go for it.

ken_shields
    Free Member

Just looked these up on the Jones site. **** lazy bast doesn't even weld up the holes for the granny ring. FFS if you're going to do it…..do it properly.

You could do that to a set of XTR M960 cranks in an afternoon…easy peasy

njee20
    Free Member

And as the cranks cost £80-ish the question is: is an afternoon of your time worth £20? For me, yes, it is!

singlespeedstu

All you need now is a set of these to go with it.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

If its these then i wouldn't bother as they are actually deore.

I'd do it myself if i'm honest.

younggeoff

if they're are M960 cranks then as a few have already said £100 is a fair price. Photo's of te offending article would help confirm

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I paid £70 for a set of M960's about a month ago, did the Jones conversion myself.

One thing to note is you still need specific chainrings for the middle ring as they are 102 BCD not 104.

However I have bodged a 104 on there but haven't yet riden it so there may be tears by the end of the weekend!

Skyliner
    Free Member

They're defo 960's. singlespeedstu what are those?? Cranks bought, I have a 102bcd ring but its a 32.

singlespeedstu

They're unavailable at the moment.

Boone HD Ti ring and cog.

DT78
    Free Member

Jackass could you post (or mail me) pic's of your conversion? And what tools you used to do it?

And how did you bodge a 104 bcd ring onto 102 bcd????

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Poor mans Jeff Jones

This might help DT78 or anyone who is interested

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks for the link, taken a look. Why did they drill a hole through the cranks – just for looks?

I already have an set of 960's knocking about. Looks like a dremel will do the job. Just wondered about cutting the extra parts of the arms off.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I don't think the holes do anything, do you allready have them on the m9do's? i think they where just to make the deores look like em,

Same with taking the extra bits of where the chainring sits

ken_shields
    Free Member

Aren't the holes in the XTR originally for the granny ring. IIRC the reason there is only 2 holes is that there is insufficient material to have a blind hole for the bolt. There will be a blind hole on the inside face of the crank arm.

They've been drilled on the Deores to make them look like the XTRs

If they were just there for decoration you'd balance it by drilling 4 holes

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Polished XTR Singlespeed Cranks’ is closed to new replies.