Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Polished bike pictures.
  • righog
    Free Member

I am off the bike for a few weeks due to an OP. so I have a some time on my hands.

I am going to strip and polish an old Alu frame I have in the garage, and was thinking of a full polished build ( cranks, seatpost, bars etc) build will be as cheap as possible as I already have enough bikes, but looking forward to some fettling time, the bike will then become my loan out bike.

I expect sourcing/stripping the fork to be the biggest challenge.

I was just wondering what other people had done along the same lines, and was hoping to get some pictures of what was out there.

Cheers 😀

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Can’t remember which forum member this is, but he’s got a sweet bike.

About to rob an offy.

whyterider
    Free Member

Can only really comment on polishing the frame, this is my method – Micromesh:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MICRO-MESH-MI … 4aba87258a

Followed by Peek:
    http://www.diy.com/nav/rooms/indoor-cle … kies=false

Results can be seen in GT link below.

GT Zaskar LE 1997 – http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=165384

righog
    Free Member

Whyterider…That Zaskar looks great !

whyterider
    Free Member

Cheers righog

nigelb001
    Free Member

My frame was just tarnished not painted. Just used a tube of Autosol, an infinate supply of rags and 10kg of elbow grease. Its a ’95 Mongoose Amplifier 2 shown here before new decals went on.

Sam

Top tips – Check first whether it is 6000 or 7000 series al. 7000 will tarnish very quickly because of the zinc content, 6000 can stay looking ok with a bit of tlc.

If it’s 6000 get your friendly local powdercoater to chemical dip it for you to remove the paint, especially if it’s already powdercoated.

righog
    Free Member

Thanks Sam, I will check 😀

Bought most of the parts yesterday, Wheels, Cranks, brakes and a fork, will wait and see what it looks like before buying the seatpost stem and bars, unless there are sale ones too good to miss.

AndyF1
    Free Member

1996 Sunn 5000r.

thered

Oooooooh, check that Sunn, that’s pretty

AndyF1
    Free Member

mk1 pro burner

righog
    Free Member

Great pics so far, Still can not decide on black or polished finishing kit.

somafunk

My Fungrel ss roadbike, Fcking Ugly moNGREL to be exact, my old 94 Marin Indian Fire Trail treated to a polish and tart up as my SS road bike.

Every so often i give it a quick rub down wi a pad and polishing fluid as the road grime and salt tarnish the bare frame, it’s not pretty but i’ve had it for 19 years and i did over 70,000 miles on it in the first 10years i owned it so it’s got sentimental value to me.

righog
    Free Member

Somafunk.. I am Liking the Fungrel. Mine will be running 1×9 I think. Parts coming tomorrow 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Polished bike pictures.’ is closed to new replies.