Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Police policy – mobile phones on duty
  • northeastAndy
    Free Member

Saw this on the news and it made me wonder what the Police policy was for officers using their own phones while on duty

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/northumbria-police-officer-using-phone-11918264

Is there any Police officers out there that can shed some light.

Thanks chaps

deluded
    Free Member

Officers often use their own mobiles for policing purposes as the job issue ones, depending on the force, are not always the best. Officers are free to carry their own phones – clearly you’re not allowed to use it whilst driving or spend all day on it making private calls during the firms time.

EDIT – use between depts, other officers, professional agencies etc – not dishing numbers out to victims or in other such circumstances that would be inappropriate.

bencooper
    Free Member

Most have one in a pocket, at least the ones I know do.

clareymorris

All of our officers now use Samsung Galaxy phones instead of pocket books. They can connect to force systems, take calls, photos etc. We aren’t the only force using this tech! not sure they would like to see this though (finally got to watch the vid it was sooo slow!)

northeastAndy
    Free Member

Nice one thanks for that, I would worry about smashing my phone if I had it in my pocket at work (not allowed anyway)
    I’m guessing private calls and texts happen during duty time as long as the arse isn’t kicked out of it…. Which is fair enough.

Sandwich

All of our officers now use Samsung Galaxy phones instead of pocket books. They can connect to force systems

Great so we’re passing policing information onto Google. WTAF

thegreatape
    Free Member

Given that my radio battery never lasts more than 3/4 of a shift, and has no reception in a lot of places, they can jog on if they ever tell me I can’t take my phone about with me.

sweepy
    Free Member

When I was a kid you would have had a whistle and been glad of it 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Wow these police folk are dedicated if they actually want to be contacted at work. Most of us would find the sweet spot where our phone had internet and the radio was dead 😉

thegreatape
    Free Member

Well that very much depends on what’s happening at the time JY 🙂

slowoldgit
    Free Member

A copper I know works a horrible shift pattern. I’m never sure if he’s at work, trying to sleep or in between. So I’ll send a brief text that he can answer whenever. Perhaps I should call the office and ask them instead?

(edit)
    Plus there are the ‘I’ll be late / have to cancel: still at work, no end in sight’ calls he has to make.

fisha
    Free Member

I carry mine about. Not to be used for policing purposes such as taking photos as evidence of something etc etc. But the reality is that when you’re only given a brick of a mobile radio, your own phone is very useful for maps and figuring out where things are etc etc.

I don’t take calls / reply to texts when dealing with the public, but will do when there is maybe a few moments later on. In my view it’s reasonable to have and use so long as it doesn’t interfere with doing the job.

Bregante

Personal issue phones to all operational staff in my force. All frontline p.c’s also get a tablet device. They’re incredibly handy for navigation and photos but we also have access to our own intelligence systems and police national computer through them. all police related material is on a secure side if the phone from Google’s prying eyes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sandwich – Member

All of our officers now use Samsung Galaxy phones instead of pocket books. They can connect to force systems

Great so we’re passing policing information onto Google. WTAF[/quote]
    WTAF do you know about software? Do google know all of your internet banking transactions?

Sandwich

Do google know all of your internet banking transactions?

No we have these buildings with counters in them that I attend called banks. The joys of being in a moderately large town.

And yes Google probably would know about my transactions if I:
    a) had a working account with them
    b) used an Android phone to carry out banking transactions.

To think otherwise in this connected day and age is naive. Given that;
    banks will use the cheapest available solution to security software that provides an easy get-out from their responsibilities
    Google have no qualms about ignoring their ‘do no evil’ mantra when it suits.

Coyote
    Free Member

Sandwich – Member

Do google know all of your internet banking transactions?

No we have these buildings with counters in them that I attend called banks. The joys of being in a moderately large town.

And yes Google probably would know about my transactions if I:
    a) had a working account with them
    b) used an Android phone to carry out banking transactions.

To think otherwise in this connected day and age is naive. Given that;
    banks will use the cheapest available solution to security software that provides an easy get-out from their responsibilities
    Google have no qualms about ignoring their ‘do no evil’ mantra when it suits.

And you got this from the Daily Mail I suppose.

Working in IT I can assure you that you are very mistaken in your beliefs. I could do into detail about the various levels of security avialable but I get the impression that due to a closed mind you probably:

a) Wouldn’t be receptive to the information.
    b) Wouldn’t understand it anyway.

Morrisons are doing a 2 for 1 offer on tin foil at the moment.

thenorthwind

Security is not “cheap” if it costs you billions of pounds lost to fraud every year because it’s not effective.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Police policy – mobile phones on duty’ is closed to new replies.