Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Pole Evolink 140 or Trek Slash?!
  • nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

I would like a longer travel 29er (130mm+) and have been considering both of these. Does anyone have any experiences of them? Slash would obviously work out cheaper which appeals but is bigger travel too – good for the Alps twice a year, less so for my usual trails though!

I cannot stand the recent low B.B.s on bikes so anything ridiculously low is not a consideration.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d recommend getting a demo on the slash as I think you’ll find your expectations are a bit out.

With its shorter wheelbase and particularly the short rear the Trek will feel much more nippy than the pole.

I have ridden a slash btw, back to back with a bike of similar length to the pole (mega 290 so a bit shorter).

Where are your local trails?

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Thank you so much for your response. I am in Stirling so great trails everywhere including Comrie Croft – only trail centre I use, although I normally ride a hard tail and short travel 29er, which are fine until I try to get all enduro and go to Dunkeld, Alps etc.!

What’s your view on the Slash?

Thanks again.

rOcKeTdOg

140mm I’d also look at the Trek Fuel, proper trail geometry and feels super plush, they have improved so much over the last few model years. Plus you have Trek’s massive dealer network as back up

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

If you don’t like low BB’s, then avoid the new Fuel.

northerntom
    Free Member

I’ve got a slash but never ridden the Pole so can’t comment on that.

The Slash is a great bike, and whilst it’s longer travel, in reality, it’s 10mm more rear travel than Pole. Difference in wheelbase length, geometry, reach etc makes much more difference than 10mm. Having said that, I’ve always thought people get too caught up on length of travel.

The slash rides very well, it’s a fast bike, but still can be playful. Certainly not as playful as my old 650 mega though (old frame shape).

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I’ve ridden both . I had a demo day on a long pole (tee hee) and two of my pals have a slash 9.8 2017. one of them won Trans Provence amateur on it. (7th overall I think!)

I really really liked the Pole, but I rode it in my local bike park. it’s a downhill bike basically. the wheelbase is enormous. I won’t be getting one as I have a DH bike.

The slash is a better allrounder IMHO, but I didn’t like the dual position lyriks. By all rounder I mean you could take it out all day in the mountains. I didn’t feel I’d be comfortable doing that on the pole, but of course a lot of that would depend on the build. You will get more attention bouncing around on a pole of that matters, they are headturners

I’d look at a Norco Range c.2 too.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Check out Enduro mag
    Trev the UK editor has a Pole as his long term bike. He loves it, mainly riding in the tweed valley, and despite its size is proper quick on the steep tight tracks.

#thegeometryaffair – Part 2, The Threesome

chakaping
    Free Member

I liked the Slash a lot.

Personally I’d probably go for something with a longer chainstay but then the Slash would probably be more involving on easier trails as well as very capable somewhere like Dunkeld.

I would definitely go for the Slash over the Fuel EX for riding up your way.

julzm
    Free Member

Ive got a Slash and generally find it an awesome bike. Its very nimble as people have said.

There are two downsides that you need to be aware of:
    1. It seems to have a very low BB even when in the high settings – pedal strikes are common; riding deep rutted sections (e.g. at the Golfie) is a bit unsettling
    2. Sometimes, it’s just too much bike. A 29er with 160mm travel is a helluva lot of bike, which sometimes dampens the trail too much, and hence dampens the fun.

I’ve ridden it at Dunkeld, Laggan and all over the Tweed Valley and it’s a fantastic bike. However, I rode it recently at Comrie Croft and found it to be just too tight up there for it – I felt like the bike was seriously hard work rather than the fun, poppy, twisty experience that I had when on previous 650B bikes. Maybe I’m just not skilled enough, but I’ve ridden there plenty of times and never felt this way about the place.

It climbs well for such a big bike but don’t expect it to be a fantastic climber – it’s too slack and big for that. However, the climbing is certainly worth it, stick it on the downhill trails at Inners for example and you’ll be grinning from ear to ear.

teethgrinder

Banshee prime?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Pole Evolink 140 or Trek Slash?!’ is closed to new replies.