Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Polaroid Cameras
  • growinglad
    Free Member

One of my boys who doesn’t really ever ask for much and doesn’t seem to bothered about Birthday/Christmas presents, has asked (quite enthusiastically) if he could have a Polaroid Camera for his birthday.

They have had the kids digital cameras for a while and although it goes through batteries like they are going out of fashion, he’s taken care of it and enjoys taking photos. So although he’s turning 7 and maybe a little young for such a camera, he does look after his stuff.

So, anybody got any experience, or words of advice?

Are they all the same model, or is there a certain one to go for?

Any info much appreciated.

jairaj

Can’t recommend any my self as never used them, but also take a look at the Fuji Instax camera range which is similar concept to the Polaroid instant photo camera.

ceepers

There’s two options. Buy an old proper Polaroid one off eBay. Shop around and you can get one pretty cheap. The better ones can go for lots of cash but if you’re patient you will get a bargain.

The only film currently made for these is by the impossible project. Works out around £1.50 a picture. It’s lots of fun. Variable results but that’s half the fun! I have a selection of old cameras and my Polaroid is heaps of fun

Fuji make the instal mini film and cameras. These are a little more “kid proof” and come in fancy colours. Film is slightly cheaper but not much. Pics are smaller than original Polaroid more credit card sized. Cameras are obviously brand new so less likely to randomly break or stop working compared too one made 30plus years ago.

Again they’re fun. My daughter has one.

The only negative with either is the cost of film, as long a your child understands the difference between these and taking hundreds of digital shots in one go then go for it!

ceepers

See first three pics here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30093694@N03/

Cant embed from my iPad

scotroutes

[/url] by Flickr2BBcode
    iPhone 6, iPhone 6 back camera 4.15mm f/2.2@4.2 mm, f2.2, 1/33s, ISO160

[/url] by Flickr2BBcode
    iPhone 6, iPhone 6 back camera 4.15mm f/2.2@4.2 mm, f2.2, 1/2326s, ISO32

[/url] by Flickr2BBcode
    iPhone 6, iPhone 6 back camera 4.15mm f/2.2@4.2 mm, f2.2, 1/33s, ISO125

ceepers

Thanks!

grtdkad

A Polaroid has appeared on Xmas lists in this house too …

parkesie
    Free Member

I sold an old camera and 6 boxes of film that we bought as they went out of production. Cost £12 sold 5 yrs later for £120.

geetee1972
    Free Member

My son got a Fuji Instax Mini for christmas a few years ago and he loved it so much I ended up getting an Instax wide.

It’s a brilliant idea for kids for so many reasons. The Fuji system is different to the polaroid one (I don’t know how but they’re still ostensibly instant cameras) but the film cartridges are cheaper I think?

somafunk

Wired 2017 review of instant cameras here, a mate was using the Fujifilm instax mini 90 at a house party the other week and i just have to get one, takes brilliant pics and it’s so cool to be able to hand out pics to everyone there n’ then.

Quite expensive but it’s definitely on my xmas list to myself before the holiday season.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I use one at work. When people borrow my stuff, I snap.them and put their pic on a wall

ericemel
    Free Member

My colleges bought me an instamax compatible Leica when I left my last role – it is absolutely fantastic. If you boy is keen I would go for it – I bought one for my niece a few years ago and the pictures she is taking are fantastic, such a great insight into a little persons life!

Superficial
    Free Member

We have one of these:

It’s a Polaroid Snap.

Picture quality is average at best compared to my iPhone and each photo costs a few pennies (buy the printer paper in bulk from eBay and it’s easier to swallow), but it’s great fun. You take a picture and wait as it prints and pops out of the side. Quite cool. Bonus: the photos are also stickers!

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Love Polaroids and I’m lucky to have a few of the older ones.

The original SX-70 Is a work of art!

If your lucky they can be found for a bagain in your local charity shop

But for the kids go for a Fuji

growinglad
    Free Member

Thanks guys for all the input.

I very nearly backed out as I think he’s a little young at the moment, but it’s the first time he’s shown real enthusiasm for something other than his bike. He plays with his lego, but loads of other stuff never gets touched.

I’ve told him the photos don’t come cheap and he needs to limit what he snaps (he’s got a cheap digital kids camera at the moment, where he snaps away to his hearts content…but that has games on it too and quite ofter find him playing them rather than using the camera).

Think I’ll look at the Fuji one

Anyways, thanks again, nothing ventured, nothing gained….hopefully he’ll end up taking better photos than his old man….

grtdkad

Just looking at the benefits between the Fuji Instax range …
    Mini 70 at around £85
    Instax 300 (wide with zoom) at £100
    Mini 90 at £115

Any experiences? this would be for my two teenage girls to use…what’s good, functional, cool etc

GolfChick
    Free Member

Are these making a come back or something? There’s one on my 16 year old step-daughters Christmas list too!

grtdkad

Yup. Hot. Must have present list!

SiofCannock
    Free Member

http://www.instax.co.uk

All the info you need.

There’s a mini 9 too. Kidtastic. But the higher the model number the more adjustments you get, so potentially better shots. The wide is double the print size, the square is similar to Polaroid size.

grtdkad

That’s perfect Si, thanks. Decision made.

…and spotted the dimensions of the Instax 300Wide!!

colournoise

Started out as a kid with one of these (or very similar) as my first camera. Developing photos in the little metal folder stuck under your armpit…

Then in a fit of nostalgia I bought one of these in the 90s.

Few years back I grabbed a Fuji Instax 200 off eBay (probably late one Friday night). If they’re making a comeback maybe I should dig it out and buy some film, get me some street cred with my Photography students…

Seriously, I know deep down my obsession with over-processing my digital photos owes a massive amount to my formative photography being Polaroids – it was set in my mind at an early age that photos shouldn’t look natural…

somafunk

There’s something ironic about failing to successfully post and show a digital upload of an instant Polaroid photo 😉

Edit : damn…..you fixed it in post production edit

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Polaroid Cameras’ is closed to new replies.