Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • point me in the direction of info (or tell me if you know) about livestock
  • mrsgrips
    Free Member

Simple, not too much detail..its for background for some writing I’m doing.

livestock markets-
    I want a general picture of how a market would be run
    -what type of people (besides farmers) would be involved
    -how often would/do they happen?
    -is/are there an optimum time(s) of the year? (spring?? fall??)
    -how long would they last

would a produce market be run alongside typically or would that likely be a separate thing given produce could be had more often?

Do you still call it reigns/halter if it’s on another animal beside a horse? if not what is it then?

Maybe there’s a kids book about farming/livestock handling etc out there I could read?

molgrips
    Free Member

Well some animals (lambs) are all born near the same time of year, so I’m guessing they all get sold at a similar time. The cattle markets I know of were weekly I think (they weren’t just cattle) and didn’t happen alongside food markets. Most food goes directly to supermarkets etc nowadays I think. Only fish and livestock are sold in open markets with auctioneers talking gibberish and so on. Poultry I think is also either raised by the companies that sell it to supermarkets or farmers have contracts with the big companies.

Always seemed to be farmer types at the cattle market too – didn’t see anyone else 🙂

Trekster
    iDave
    Free Member

My old man owned a livestock market

Tue – pigs
    Wed -Sheep
    Thur – Cattle

Every week

Other than farmers, there were dealers buying for farmers, butchers and supermarkets. stock men who moved animals around. office staff, catering van people. Ministry inspectors, vets, and the auctioneer himself

Jamie
    Free Member

We really need a Mr & Mrs Grips sub-forum.

mrsgrips
    Free Member

Thanks
    (that doesn’t include you Jamie)

Trekster
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘point me in the direction of info (or tell me if you know) about livestock’ is closed to new replies.