Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Pogies for winter?
  • richpips
    Free Member

I’ve just come across http://www.hotpog.co.uk/

Anyone bought from them? Any other makers in the UK?

FOG

I used to use something similar for commuting by motorcycle back in the day except they were called Bar-Muffs! They were fine on a longish commute but I can’t see them being too useful on the trail where your hands get very sweaty then very cold.

kraftyone
    Free Member

Strikes me as a bit dangerous – I don’t like the idea of anything that might stop me from getting my hands off the bar during a crash… and they look stupid. What’s wrong with a decent pair of gloves?!

lemonysam
    Free Member

Also available in green.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve looked at these previous winters for commuting but never looked that serioulsy. This pic puts me in the no camp, they look ridiculous and there’s no way I would ride in traffic with them.

I thought they were a lot smaller.

Looks a bit like this

Schweiz
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair. Great in really cold conditions, particularly snow. I always find heavy winter gloves a PITA to take on and off so these are good. Also good if your hands tend to overheat. You can easily cool off.

They don’t look so stupid on an XL moonlander with 4.8″ tyres…

The don’t however seem to have been designed with riser bars in mind. Last year, I couldn’t get mine to sit at the correct angle on the bars. More of an annoyance than any hindrance to performance. I never got round to investigating fully. I’m sure that there is an easy modification to correct this.

mocha
    Free Member

they do look ridiculous but jeez they keep your hands warm & dry. Just used thin liner gloves on the commutes in well below freezing temps. That’s on those commutes when normal gloves left me a little emotional.

richpips
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair. Great in really cold conditions, particularly snow. I always find heavy winter gloves a PITA to take on and off so these are good. Also good if your hands tend to overheat. You can easily cool off.

Yep, it was for sleet/snow in particular that I thought they may be good.

Where did you get yours from?

Clink

What’s wrong with a decent pair of gloves?!

You obviously don’t suffer from cold hands! I’ve yet to find a pair of gloves that keep my hands warm. I borrowed a pair of these for a ride on a bivvy last winter – they are toasty!

flatfish
    Free Member

Got some, different make though.
    Brilliant at keeping your puds warm but look a bit daft.
    I ride with summer weight glove in the real cold times with these on.
    I was on the same bivi ride as Clink^^^^ and remember him saying how good the pair he borrowed were.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I don’t like the idea of anything that might stop me from getting my hands off the bar during a crash

Eh? you’re not cable tied to the bars or anything!

annebr
    Free Member

Or you could ride in oven gloves 😀

shaggy

Brant and Ed used Hotpogs when we went to Finland. They seemed to like them. I have Epic/Revelate pogies which are amazing. If it’s really cold they are amazing and also on shortish rides (ie my 40min commute). where it takes you a while to warm up, it works very well.

Gary_M
    Free Member

You obviously don’t suffer from cold hands!

I do, and I’ve ridden in temps down to -10, but a decent glove system kept me warm. (‘warm’ is probably over stretching it to be honest, but certainly not crying like a baby when my hands heated back up 🙂 )

I’m sure they’re great but not for me. How do they keep the rain out at the cuff? You obviously can’t put your jacket sleeve over the cuff so does rain not run into them?

bikeneil
    Free Member

richpips
    Free Member

@bikeneil you’ve given me and idea, my daughter has some Ugg boots that maybe I can recycle.

scotroutes

I’ve been using the Hotpogs cheapo model for the last two winters. Awesome. If there is one down-side it would be the sudden coldness you get when removing your hands from their cosy environment.

lemonysam
    Free Member

The hydration system kind of implies that bikeneil’s picture is someone’s triathlon bike.

richpips
    Free Member

Nice one chaps, I have sufficient info to press the buy button.

JoeG
    Free Member

I have a pair of these cheap ones for winter riding on the fatbike. They make a HUGE difference!

lemonysam
    Free Member

I have a pair of these cheap ones for winter riding on the fatbike. They make a HUGE difference!

Where do you insert your hand?

richpips
    Free Member

JoeG

Beyonce?

Bregante

😀

Where do you put your hands JoeG?

njee20
    Free Member

Where do you insert your hand?

😆

That’s awkward…

jonba
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sculling-Paddle-Mitt-Sculling-Glove-Pogies-Black-/390965670096?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Canoeing_Kayaking_ET&hash=item5b075eb0d0

Pogies are really popular amongst the kayaking brigade as you can still feel the paddle which you can’t do in gloves.

All you need to do is keep most of the wind and water off and you are warm. You might get away without the massive insulated ones if they are waterproof and you wear a thin pair of warm gloves underneath.

I used to have some nylon ones for kayaking that a guy was making and selling on ebay. Maybe with some googling you can find someone knocking them up and ask for a biking set, only one side open not both.

I’d be interested if anything existed.

drofluf
    Free Member

Bit late to the party but another Hotpog fan here.

scotroutes

Pogies, water bottle and fanny pack last winter.

I’m so ahead of the curve me…..

scaredypants

Lolling gently at the beyonce link 😀

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Pogies for winter?’ is closed to new replies.