Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Pogies
  • mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Has anyone bought pogies in the UK?

I'm convinced now I want some to get through the winter. Several sources in the USA and Canada for cycling or snowmobile.
    Nothing I can find in the UK except kayak ones which aren't really the thing, and won't have enough space for the brakes, – and they have an open end.

epicyclo

They're dead easy to make with some vinyl/leather and an old thin wire coathanger. The coathanger is to create the mouth where you put your hands through. Possible some thick zipties would do the same job. Make sure the mouth points down so any water drains out.

I used to ride my motorbike in all sorts of foul and subzero weather with a set of these on and they helped keep my hands working.

clubber
    Free Member
    mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I'll take a look at those rowing ones. Otherwise it's out with the sewing machine. – I like the coathanger tip Epicyclo.
    Rgds

trail_rat
    Free Member

rowing ones wont have enough room for brake levers etc and seem to be quite tight fitting to get in ….

sculling would be the ones you want for bike bars btw

look for motorcycle bar muffs ( motorcyclists dont make fancy names they just call them what they see …. bit like catch phrase)

19.00 for fleecey lined wind and waterproof ones at that price its hard to justify making your own 😀

http://www.cjaccessories.co.uk/search.php?mode=search&page=1

DickBarton

Latex glove underneath your normal glove? a rubberish block from moisture and will keep your hands warm as they sweat…

trail_rat
    Free Member

how in **** did you get from a pogie to a rubber glove ….

just dont stop – sweat goes cold quick and can lead to all sorts of skin conditions by keeping it trapped like that for hours ….

was riding in -18 on the way to work (recorded on the airport weatherstation next to work) last winter in mammot winter mitts with a silk liner underneath – best purchase ever – this winter i intend to ride with pogies and summer gloves to regain some feeling of the bar ….

paul78
    Free Member

I started with the moose mitt ATV ones but they just dont fit right and ride around the bars too much..

For Arrowhead I went all out and got Dogwood Designs ones… $180 i think i paid but at -30 my hands were roasting hot and joan at Dogwood added some extra detail like pockets inside them and alse made them to fit my titec jones copy bars.

If you are anywhere near Newcastle feel free to come look at the moose mitts but I sold my Dogwood ones and am having some new Dogwoods made to match bike colour.

myheadsashed
    Kuco

I thought Pogie was going to be some sort of Scottish pie. Disappointed it's only a glove 🙁

trail_rat
    Free Member

ill see if the oxford ones are any good.

will let you know

epicyclo

The best thing I have found for winter riding is Tesco's thick woolly gloves. £5 a pair. Thick enough to keep the wind off, handle a reasonable amount of rain, breathe really well. I buy a few pairs each year and treat them as disposable.

Done a few StrathPuffers on them.

Meanwhile I have a large box full of very expensive gloves which don't perform as well.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Pogies’ is closed to new replies.